classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Are there any other A40 Somerset owners out there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Brucekoukalaka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Are there any other A40 Somerset owners out there? Reply with quote

I'm just curious if there are many of these beauties left ( I know of 3 more within 2 hours drive from me) I looked up information as I own one and found that between late '51 and 1954 there were less than 174,000 made so I would say that this little bug-eyed beauty is fairly rare.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to turn up at shows fairly often (have a look at the Tern Valley photos I uploaded yesterday in the Show News section), plus I had a beige one 11 or so years ago.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Brucekoukalaka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now the proud owner of 3 of these little gems. I had a 1979 Ford camper van that I traded straight across for a pair of them. While my first is in fair shape, I think it may become parts for the other 2 as they seem to be in better shape (body wise anyhow).
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just purchased what is belived to be a 1953 model in need of restoration but mainly reassembly but also i have no paperwork with the car so im having trouble identifying car and getting an age related reg plate
Richard H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one Wink

You don't see as many at shows as you might expect, I can't actually recall seeing one at any of our local shows. At the last Battlesbridge show I went to there were two Devons and two Atlantics in attendance, but no Somersets. Having said that, they are the most commonly owned car in the Austin Counties Car Club, and turn up for sale on a fairly regular basis, over here at least.
There was a house I used to pass many years ago near Southend airport that had two Somersets on the driveway - 871 BMT (blue) and YEV 331 (black). Last year I met the owner of these, Mark, who as it happens used to own my A55 Cambridge and also owns a very nice Atlantic! Small world. He still has BMT but YEV 331 was sold some years ago and the numberplate is now on a Volvo, so what happened to the car I don't know.
Brucekoukalaka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might interest you to know there were only 173,305 of these built in the entire run, late 1951- 1954.
Brucekoukalaka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the owner of 3 Somersets now, 2 that are repairable and 1 that is all but too far gone,

The black one runs and the body is fairly good, the grey one has the best body of all 3 and the green one runs but the body is rusted very badly. I think I'll be salvaging as many parts as possible from the green one and sending what will be left to the crusher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: