classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Thermostat Wax Type?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Invicta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Thermostat Wax Type? Reply with quote

In the workshop manual for my 1975 J26 Mitsubishi Jeep this is the only information given.
Unfortunately a previous owner removed the original and did not fit a replacement.
I have tried fitting a normal "spring" type from Mitsubishi but this makes the engine overheat (there is nothing wrong with any part of the cooling\heating system- it's all been checked, cleaned and pressure tested).
As there is no illustration of this "wax type" item has anyone any idea what it is or what it looks like and where I might get something suitable?

At the moment it all runs very nicely with a section of thin door mat attached to the front grill and positioned so as to restrict, but not stop, the airflow. The heater now warms up nicely.

Kind regards, Bernard
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have mentioned this before, but have you tried ebay in Australia? Sometimes it can be worth perusing these overseas auction sites, as different cars are sold in different markets, and perhaps these 4x4s sold over there in greater numbers than here???

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Invicta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,
You are spot on. I've come across a guy in Thailand who has an even earlier model than mine. The Thai military still have a few and some spares are available over there.
I will let you know how we go.
I have also found a company in Holland who make reproduction parts as well as having some original bits.
If this keeps up I will be able to visit places all over the glode just to get a gasket! Laughing
Cheers
Bernard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: