classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Regulator 22amp, 25 amp, 30 amp?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Journer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Regulator 22amp, 25 amp, 30 amp? Reply with quote

I have for the interim decided to stick with my dynamo as it's now working. I do have to change my regulator though. I have found plenty of regulators available but could some one advise on what ampage to go for as the advertisers say 22,25 and 30amp should do. Why the difference in amps for the same car. Please excuse my ignorance but electrics are not my strong point.

Cheers!
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journer,

If you have a Lucas RB301 or RB340 regulator then they are adjustable for the maximum current output. This is so that they can be used on various Lucas dynamos from C39 which have approx. 20 amps output up to the C45 which is close to 30 amps max. output. The ones that you are looking at are essentially the same regulator with 3 coils inside. With the terminals facing you the right coil is the voltage regulator, the centre one is the current regulator and the left is the cut-out. The points on both regulators are cleanable using 1000 grit or finer emery paper.

Art
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journer,

If you have a Lucas RB301 or RB340 regulator then they are adjustable for the maximum current output. This is so that they can be used on various Lucas dynamos from C39 which have approx. 20 amps output up to the C45 which is close to 30 amps max. output. The ones that you are looking at are essentially the same regulator with 3 coils inside. With the terminals facing you the right coil is the voltage regulator, the centre one is the current regulator and the left is the cut-out. The points on both regulators are cleanable using 1000 grit or finer emery paper.

Art
Journer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Journer,

Art

I did clean the regulator but still no joy. I'll probably just get a new one at 25 amps and change it. The car was stored for about twenty five years not moving so this may have contibuted to faults appearing because the dynamo was filthy.

At some point I will change to alternator but that will be after the mot. Do you think that it would be safe to use a 22amp regulator? I only ask because it's a tenner cheaper. Wink
Journer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all is good, managed to get a regulator and it happens to be a 25 amp RB340 to suit my C40-L Dynamo.

Cheers anyway. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: