classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Fiat 500F Restoration Resolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, that was a bit of a cheat because it was the best side of the best one!
Here is a more honest shot of the reverse; you see the somewhat more than surface rust I mentioned earlier.
KNO_5676 by peterthompson, on Flickr
Thanks for the advice on Waxoyl and rubber. Rolling Eyes
I now see that there are plenty of maintenance products designed for this and will start with one of those maybe returning to Waxoyl if that fails.
I have unravelled the front wiring loom and want to make a start on cleaning it. I haven't the skill or experience to give it the Rolls-Royce treatment that looks so good on your car but you might have advice for me on how best to clean the connectors and maintain good contacts?
KNO_5675 by peterthompson, on Flickr
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other old car has been landlocked in the garage whilst I have been painting the Fiat. So today I decided to re-arrange things so that i can drive it in the sunshine with the hood down. It also reduces the chances of the repainted Fiat getting scratched by someone else sneaking in the garage for something. Evil or Very Mad
So out it came into the sunshine, slightly flawed with drips of Waxoyl, but looking good. (I used bit more today at the inner side of the jacking points and reinforcing plate....the corrugated bit at the back of the inner sill if you know your fiat 500.)
KNO_5679 by peterthompson, on Flickr
I took the opportunity, with cars out of harm's way, to retrieve all the carefully stored interior bits. Jump in.. Laughing
KNO_5683 by peterthompson, on Flickr
I need to clean the floor covering very thoroughly because it seems to have an oily film, perhaps gathered from the odd bits stored in it when I acquired the car.
KNO_5681 by peterthompson, on Flickr
That's £500 at repro. prices Shocked Needs looking after carefully.
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh interestingly they are slightly worse than mine after all.

I tried the Hugh Jarce method on mine this afternoon some wire wall and autosol afterwards and it made quite a difference it took most of the little dimples off, they look much better.

Before

After

On the wiring I cleaned the loom with some panel wipe and laced it up and covered it with some loom tape. You could get away with just loom tape if you want to cover it. As it comes in affectively two different separate looms I kept them separate and tied them together with a few small cable ties, so it means I can take them apart again if I need to. On the connectors I replaced any that needed to be, if they had poor connections or were slightly loose, not many needed it. As most are bullet connectors I bought some of the four way bullet multi adapters. I used these specifically for the front indicators where you need to take away a wire to the front and side wing indicator.

You can get all the connectors you need off of Ebay for a few quid. I don't have a crimper for Lucas connectors so just soldered them on and bent the little lugs around the insulation.

Last edited by vitesse on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
An other suggestion for rubber care, if you know of a model aircraft shop where they still do the rubber band type, they should have rubber lubricants which may also be something called "soft soap".

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, some very helpful young men round here. I will update as son as it's done.
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff seems to have good reviews on all the detailing websites I have read about conditioning rubber. Not that I spend much time on detailing websites but I have been googling around since you asked the question.

I believe it was originally made by BMW.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/einszett-gummi-pflege-rubber-care-stick-100ml-/190978031811?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item2c772d80c3

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/product-review-einszett-1z-gummi-pflege-stift-rubber-care-stick/
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitesse wrote:
This stuff seems to have good reviews on all the detailing websites I have read about conditioning rubber. Not that I spend much time on detailing websites but I have been googling around since you asked the question.

I believe it was originally made by BMW.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/einszett-gummi-pflege-rubber-care-stick-100ml-/190978031811?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item2c772d80c3

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/product-review-einszett-1z-gummi-pflege-stift-rubber-care-stick/

Ive just ordered some of this, gotta be worth a try?

Kev
vitesse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I ordered some yesterday Kev, it does get rave reviews on all the sites that talk about it.

I always wondered why all the Fiat 500 sites in Holland called the big rubber spacer behind the speedo "Gummi". Apparently it is German for rubber.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still multi-tasking through cleaning and assembling bits and pieces for the interior. I wonder how many cars this old still have the original fabric roof without any tears?
BRA_6051 by peterthompson, on Flickr
I came across the section of bulkhead I removed complete with original paint finish. the colour match with the new bonnet is perfect and it's interesting to see that the slight, smoothed "orange-peel" I will have when polished iis just as original. Laughing
BRA_6039 by peterthompson, on Flickr
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did everyone get their Gummi?
I was looking round our local car accessory shop and among the baffling range of "Autoglym" products I spotted a vinyl and rubber cleaning product.

I used it on this quarter light rubber which now seems very supple and rubbery Rolling Eyes "Quel surprise!"

BRA_6265 by peterthompson, on Flickr
I degreased one of the seats and used the same product to renovate the vinyl afterwards. This sort of thing is very subjective and prone to being a bit "Emperor's New Clothes" but the surface does feel better and is less crinkly.
BRA_6268 by peterthompson, on Flickr
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your old parts are even acceptable to me!!!!! My seat covers were definitely in much worse nick and my sunroof was covered in paint from when the nice person tipped what looked like old paint brush cleaner over the car, so it was a multi coloured mess that got everywhere.

No Gummi yet but apparently has been dispatched?????
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gummi turned up today, it came from Ireland so hence the delay. I suppose I should have realised that a seller called Mick's Garage was in Ireland!!!!!

It seems to work quite well, is easy to apply and smells nice. It leaves the rubber looking like new and more supple/smooth. In fact even my modern got done.

It wouldnt be a Tony post without a picture.

colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looks very effective.
Photos are always welcome, in fact, it's only polite Laughing
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have insulated the floor...maybe a bit thick; closed cell foam.
BRA_6273 by peterthompson, on Flickr
The floor covering had some rips and cracks which I fixed underneath with a supersize set of puncture patches.
BRA_6270 by peterthompson, on Flickr
It all fits well now and is easier to clean in situ.
BRA_6276 by peterthompson, on Flickr
A parting shot of the car starting to be reborn.
BRA_6271 by peterthompson, on Flickr
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely Peter, I like your style with the puncture repair patches too Cool Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 34 of 58

Jump to: