classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Is it re-bore time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Is it re-bore time? Reply with quote

The Morris 8 engine smokes a bit when cold. The engine is coming out as part of the rebuild and amongst other things I’ll be able to inspect and measure the bores.

Is there a rule of thumb regarding wear and ovaling that you can use to determine if it’s either re-bore time, or just a set of new rings required?

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uk, my own rule of thumb really is for this. If I can feel a ridge at the top of the cylinder with my thumb nail, then its time for a rebore.

Before I send it away though, I try to get hold of the correct tolerances for the particular engine and carefully measure all the bores with an internal micrometer.

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: