classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Re-lining rivetted drum brakes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Re-lining rivetted drum brakes Reply with quote

Every time I need to replace drum brake linings I have to send the worn-out linings and shoes away and wait a week while someone else rivets on the new ones. If only I had a hand-operated brake rivetting press... can anyone tell me who sells them? I have spent hours searching on-line, no success. I operate a small business (just me. part-time!) maintaining old cars so this happens several times a year. Your help would be appreciated.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am needing to reline some shoes, I was going to do it the old fashioned way by hand, I have done a few clutch plates this way, but never brakes, and was going to start a thread for advice tonight, seen this thread so hope you don't mind me adding my question on the bottom of your thread!

Cheers

Dave

P.S... Welcome along Glenn Crawford, what oldies are you most interested in? I hazard a guess it may be Riley, which is funny as I have always been told to get a Riley as it is my surname! Very Happy
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, I've owned Rileys for many years - though I'm careful not to restrict my interests just to them! But I will shamelessly promote the Riley "RM" series as one of the most rewarding classics to own from the immediate post-war period. Mine is a 1949 2½-Litre, I've also owned 1½-Litres in the past.

Now... my car will be due new brakes soon... back to topic! How to reliably rivet the linings on?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with the linings tool, but your mention of RMs struck a chord - dad used to own a 2.5 and 1.5 RM, one of which was a roadster, sadly he doesn't have them any more Smile

This is one of his cars (dads the driver):

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn

I have an old rivet press, which you are welcome to borrow, don't know where you are located, I'm in Cheshire.

You can still but them from US avaiation suppliers , I'm not talking 747 stuff but small private planes. I know this because it was the only place I find that stocked the right sized hollow brass rivets, I have a long band of lining material and cut my own shoes if I can't get them off the shelf, sourcing the rivets was a real pain!

I'll dig the firm out for you, they will ship to the UK.

This is my vice held press;

UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn

Try one of these firms; may be you can get them in the UK but I couldn't find them when I was looking for rivets. The tools are quite cheap only about $25 -$30 £15!!! probably cost as much to ship but still worth it Smile

Cheers Dave

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/brakeliningrivset.php

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Aircraft/Tools/BrakeService.html

http://www.sacskyranch.com/acatalog/Sacramento_Sky_Ranch_Brake_rivet_tool_92.html
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there still are any real ones left in the UK, these tools are also supplied by Saddlemakers suppliers...

Uj
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks one and all, I will get busy on this over the weekend. I'm in Dorset, too far from Nantwich to pop over and borrow a tool, but thanks for the offer!
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iv'e been riveting linings on by hand for the last 40 odd years without any special tools: I just use a piece of rod approx the same diameter as the head, fit it tightly in a vice then, starting from the middle of the lining, support the head of each rivet on to the end of the rod and splay the other end of the rivet using a hammer and centre punch,
(it helps to have three hands but it can be done.)

The trick is to do the two centre rivets lightly and then make sure that the other holes are going to line up. If you then work from the middle towards the ends of the linings then you shouldn't have any problems.

Don't worry about the other end of the rivet splitting a little when you use the centre punch, they all used to be like that even when they had been done by a reputable garage and you can always pein it over with a hammer if it makes you feel better. but you must have the rivet head firmly against the rod when you do it.

Don.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That is how I have done clutch plates, place a large parallel punch in the vice, and punch the top of the rivet out. I think this is how I will do my brakes, only I will get a mate to hold the shoe, four hands have got to be good!

Cheers

Dave
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the "third hand" I need - and also the right shaped punch so that the rivet is distorted evenly and progressively. I'm working on other peoples' cars in exchange for modest amounts of cash, so I have to get it right.
I've since noticed a secondhand tool on eBay (item 130136165503 if you're curious) so I may have a stab at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: