classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Collecting a classic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)

Which method should I use to collect the Citroen?
Use a Car Transport Company?
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Collect it with a trailer?
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Fly down with tools, and drive it back?
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Collecting a classic Reply with quote

Some of you will have read that I will be purchasing a Citroen Traction shortly. So just as a bit of fun, I've decided to run a poll as regards the collection method.

Bear in mind, the car is in Pyrenée region of France!

UJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ

Off the top of my head I can't remember what condition it is in, but assuming its been out of use for a little while (?) I'd combine collecting it with a mini-holiday in France if it was me, so I voted for trailering.

However if its on the road and so on, I'd consider driving it although unless it has been used for long trips already, I'd still lean towards trailering!

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, its standing in a barn, and hasnt been used since the owner died around 3- 4 years ago.

I do know that it has a clutch problem though.

UJ
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many unknowns, I voted for a trailer. Smile
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
What would you be towing it with?

What would the all up weight of the trailer/car be compared with the capabilities of the vehicle according to the H/book?

Do you still need import/export docs between European countries?
XL391

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffo a trailer... Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman, assuming I do choose to take a trailer, it will be behind my Pickup. As far as weight is concerned, its well below the maximum allowed. As far as I know, there is no paperwork between EU countries, or at least, there wasnt last time I did this a couple of years ago.

Trouble is, its the most expensive option.....

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I did vote for trailering, but if it works out cheaper for someone to colect it for you, a transport company would be a good idea in my oppinion. You do have to ask yourself however, how they are doing it cheaper than you can with a trailer, you don't have to pay yourself wages etc, can they be trusted?

Cheers

Dave
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with rick , I voted trailer but you could make it into a mini break .
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Well I would go with the trailering then, I was only thinking about possible complications but if there are none, DIY, at least you can be sure that you are being careful of your new treasure.

Like buzzy, I am surprised that a commercial firm is offering to do it for less than you can.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the transport company previously. They picked up a Thunderbird for me in Belgium a couple of years ago, so at least I know that they are reliable. The reason that they are cheap is that they put 14 cars a time on their transporter.

The trip down with a trailer from here will take maybe three days each way keeping it legal.

Driving it back means flying down, tools in violin case (with regards to the cars image! Very Happy ) Doing enough repairs to make it driveable, and then driving back. If my info is correct, then its only the clutch that needs work (special tool required I've been told). The thing that appeals here is the adventure! I have a friend that has some gites in the same village as the car, so at least I have somewhere to stay whilst I work on it.

In both of the diy cases, I would probably take someone as mad as I am with me! Laughing

UJ

UJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hang on til October you could call in at this Citroen bash on the way back home (seems like you need to pre-book though):

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/citroenrosalie.htm

Rick
Cool
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way things are going with the french paperwork, its more likely to be the 2008 meet.....talk about beaurocracy!

I now know why their system has a base of 10!

UJ
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ when I bought my Citroen 2cv a couple of years ago via the net the car was at the other end of the country.

I just booked two tickets to fly from Manchester to Gatwick, caught the train from gatwick to Southend and drove her home - via brighton and Hove!

The Mrs and I looked upon it as a 'Trains, planes, and automobiles' day and as the car was an unknown quantity the gamble to drive it the 350 miles home in a few hours made it an adventure too.

All too often in todays world vast distances are covered matter of factly, in an old, unrestored vehicle you are again faced with a challenge which is good (or crazy?)

We arrived home after passing through many places we would otherwise have never seen, meeting people we wouldn't have met, and felt rather intrepid!

finally, the cost was slightly less that having it trailered but had it broke down that could have been different... so...do ya feel lucky?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said previously, the idea of driving it back is appealing, its the romantic in me I suppose... of course, I would have to wear a hat and pinstriped suit, and have my tools in a violin case. I wouldnt mind driving back through Geneva, theres a car club there that I would like to check out...

By the way, old-nail, welcome back!

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: