classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

UFOs
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: UFOs Reply with quote

Peering out at a darkened sky got me thinking about UFOs, as I do from time to time. I had a chat with buzzy about this subject at the Nantwich Show the other weekend, would be interested to hear what others think about the subject - do they exist, or are they all explainable?

As I type there is a light way out over the fields that is moving in a slightly odd way - probably just a 'bear in the air'* rather than something exciting though!

Rick
Shocked Question

* 70's CB talk for a police-person in a helicopter or spotter plane Smile
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I always find it strange that so called experts say there can not be life of any kind on all of these planets out there, as there is no water, or no oxygen, but why should life outside of our world rely on the same things as we do. They may not breathe, eat or drink, how do we know, we may not even be able to see them/hear?

On a similar topic, I believe there is another smallish meteor shower on the 2nd of September, obviously you will only see it when it turns dark, lets hope the cloud stays away!

Please don't get me onto Black holes, me and my mate had an in depth conversation, that ended in many hours research on the Internet, and ending in a rather depressing feeling! Confused

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I figure this, UFO's must exist! But then, thats just my logic!

I'm reasoning so. In the 1800's, when nobody knew better, experts said things like ''man can never fly'' but he did in 1903. Later, it was ''cant go through the sound barrier'' but man did. They even said that a car could never go faster than sound....er, wrong again!

So therefore, my logic states that if an expert says it cant, then it must! Laughing So they exist!

UJ
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early days of motoring, it was believed that if you travelled in excess of a certain speed (can't remember the figure exactly) you'd die.
What's the LSR today? 633 point something, isn't it?
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been intrigued by the incident at Roswell New Mexico.
I think something very unusual happened but we'll probably never know the real truth.

Ok, my only UFO story.
In the mid 70's we were at Harpers Ferry along the Mississippi River. Four of us were walking over to the bar/cafe for a late supper after fishing all day. It was a clear night and the stars were bright except one that seemed to be a bit brighter than the others. Just as I was going to mention it to the others I thought I seen it zig zag a little. I stopped walking to watch and the rest did the same. It then did more zig zagging and then stopped and then it just disappeared.
Next we're all looking at one another saying what the hell was that!!! We couldn't make out a shape or anything, just a bright spot in the sky.
We went on in to eat and then I remembered that the Apollo-Soyuz spacecraft were flying at that time. I know they couldn't zig zag like we saw but maybe it was reflections causing the phenomenon.
I still have no idea what we actually saw but it was strange.

btw........the current land speed record is 763 mph by Andy Green in the Thrust-SSC car.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Quote:
btw........the current land speed record is 763 mph by Andy Green in the Thrust-SSC car.

What I find funnier to tell people is that the Diesel powered land vehicle record is currently held by JCB.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yes indeed, see:- http://www.speedace.info/JCB_diesel_max_land_speed_record_car.htm

Cheers

Dave
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what amazes me is that we won't preface the notion that we might not be aboriginal to this planet. i'm a longtime reader of von daniken and am quite ready to accept that we as the culmination of modern era man, were not evolved alongside the natural denizens of Earth. i have a notion that our arrival (as a separate and distinct species from Neanderthal and CroMagnon man) precipitated the birth of the modern era. of course, archeological investigations point to the otherwise in many cases, but there is a vast period about which anything SPECIFIC is unknown regarding man, and many dead ends where other species of animal diversified and flourished. modern era humans are arrogant in believing that we are the natural product of Earth biology. why would there be so few identifiable "breeds", if we were a simple natural event? would there not be literally HUNDREDS, as it is with so many other animals?
okay, there's proof for many of you that i'm a nutter...
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno 'bout you; but I come from Streatham.
62rebel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Pigtin, for clear and levelheaded thought. told you i was a nutter, now didn't i? i really wish i had a more exact mental map of England so i could tell up from down.
odd about UFO's; since the widespread availability of camcorders and camera phones came about, the frequency of sightings has gone to about nil. either they are better at hiding themselves, or just aren't photogenic!
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 62 Rebel, I respect your opinions and would die for your right to express them. Without intending to be contentious and introducing "forbidden" subjects. I am reading Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion " at the moment, and for someone who questions the conventional teachings of our rulers, it poses, and answers some very interesting questions.
I am waiting to get to the chapter that tells us why people pay so much for Volkswagens in the UK? I am sure there is some form of subliminal indoctrination involved.

Don.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Perhaps the UFO's are evolving, and can now go faster, faster than light maybe, making them invisible to us humans?

Or are they just outside our vision, who says they actually see, aliens could be invisible and all around us!

There could be hundreds of them, and there could be ufm (ufM (machinery)), whonder if they have a sort of classic, and have ufm shows?? Confused

Oh dear I am getting carried away again! My first point is quite a serious one though, quite a witty one for me! Wink

Cheers

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help thinking that the entire "flying Saucer" phenomenon may have been covered in my posting of Aug 4th 'Seen anything interesting'.

Don.
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw them once in concert; only song I can remember was "Doctor Doctor"... this is what this thread is about isn't it ? Wink
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Eh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: