classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cleaning out stale petrol and debris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Mytocon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Cleaning out stale petrol and debris Reply with quote

Aged 4* (maybe even 5*!) has bunged up the tanks on the 69 S-Type. It's running fine from a slave tank (aka can in the boot ) but the main tanks drains are bunged up, the pick-ups don't and the filters aren't going to come undone without a struggle, probably taking the boss out of the tank at the same time. It's the remnants of the old, evaporated leaded fuel that's been in there for 20+ years, and in the bottom of the float chambers had the consistency of dried cement!

Anyone got any remedy for old, congealed petrol detrius? Vinegar? Thinners?(didn't do much on the carbs themselves, had to soak, scratch with an awl then a toothbrush!) Dynamite?

Cheaper solutions (no pun intended!) preferred, and innovation will be entertained!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you end up taking the tanks out, you might find a lengthy steam clean (and proper drying out afterwards) helps to shift some of the clag, but if its really bad in there I'm not sure what will shift the gunky stuff!

do they have drain taps on the bottom? or is whats left in there too gloopy to run out now??

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would be tempted to either steam clean, or pressure wash it, or maybe both!

Cheers

Dave
Mytocon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they have drain taps on the bottom? or is whats left in there too gloopy to run out now??

Yes, but yes! Crying or Very sad The drain plugs are in th emiddle of a much bigger plug, which is supposed to allow access to the pickup filters, just like the XJ6 tanks. Unfortunately (again like the XJ's) the head on the plug is too small really and rounds off easily. Sad

Seems steam may be the way to go though, thanks chaps Smile
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been keeping my eye on this topic, but sorry guys, you are a little bit wrong on this answer.

There are a couple of ways to clean tanks, but, there is a another question to ask first. Do you want to be ABSOLUTELY 100% certain that you dont have trouble in the future?

UJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are the replies wrong?

the 100% solution I suppose is to fit new tanks, if you want zero chance of old crap coming up along the line at some point, or else split the old ones along their seams to clean things out properly inside, so long as the baffles aren't in the way

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply because, and I know this for a fact, and even though some will disagree here, steam should NEVER EVER be used for cleaning fuel tanks. It can cause too many problems!

The thing is, the problem is not stale fuel in the tank, its stale fuel blocking the pick up, and thats really easy to deal with. If the pick up cant be got out of the tank for some reason, Then the only way to go is as you say Rick, new tank and parts!

I can give you a formula for a cleaner, but I think (not sure) that one of the ingredients is banned nowadays.

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

???
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, why the ??? ?

Do you never check your mail? Very Happy

UJ
Mytocon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give you a formula for a cleaner, but I think (not sure) that one of the ingredients is banned nowadays.

Ooh, Ooh, the more banned the better Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PM me if you like, but if it wouldn't be a major issue to tell us it would be great! Does it include "Perc" by any chance?

As far as removing the tanks are concerned, I will TRY to get the access plugs out before removal of the whole tank:- unlike the XJ, the S-Type has exposed tank bases, and if the metal is thin, it's better to find out now rather than at the first fill up after my tender ministrations Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing that you can do is remove the tanks, because you will have to slosh the mix around anyway!

The likely cause is that the old fuel will have ''crystallised'' around the sock that is fitted to the pickup. Therefore the thing to do is remove the pickup, and replace the sock.

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what me and a mate did once, you may need to improvise though!.
Similar problem glupey stuff in a small mini tank, which I know is much simpler than your tank.

1st we waited till his mum went out.
2nd we cranked the water temprature up on the water heating boiler
3rd waited for the water to heat up
4th Filled a bath with steaming hot water.
5th lobbed the tank in, let it warm up
6th the glupy stuff began to move,we had to run the bath 3 or 4 times and keep the tank warm with his sisters hair dryer as the stuff oozed out.
7th clean the bath and try and get rid of the lingering stale petrol smell in the bathroom!
8th we put some pee gravel and parafin in the tank and shook it for a while
9th washed it out with parafin

It was fine after that I think he did fit a fuel filter just after the tank to capture any bits left.

So I would have thought a steam clean should have a similar effect, these days you could also concider ultrasonic cleaning, if you know a plac that has a big enough tank.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: