classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What does GLX I stand for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Musicman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: What does GLX I stand for. Reply with quote

Hi, before I start please forgive me, because I cannot really state that I am a car enthusiast, but I came upon this site and thought somebody here could answer a few questions I have.
According to the guides for this forum "anything goes!"

So here I go:

I have a 1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire GLX I car, which I'm currently putting onto a site to try and sell.
This site asks for a valuation, and this is where I become stuck, all the valuation sites I have visited either don't go back as far as 1991, or they don't come up with my exact model, this is term has posed me the question what does GLX I stand for?
Also no site including ebay has any identical model on their site which poses question 2, how many of these cars where made in this year?
Once again sorry if this topic does not exactly fit the forum bill, but I have spent a few hours doing internet research and googling etc and this site popped up along the way so that is why I am here!
stevie_a

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take a stab in the dark and say

G = Grand

L = Luxury

X = X pack ( which is usually leather , electric Tinted windows, electric sunroof. .etc etc)

I = Injection

as for price not as much as you will want it all depends on engine size ,condition , miles , history.

Could be anything from £100 to £3,000

That’s my thoughts

Who is next???
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it is a 100 miles-from-new mint example, I think the value would be in the mid-hundreds, only exceptional examples would get into the £thousands I'd have thought. Condition is everything with middle age stuff like this, any rust at all and the value would drop considerably I think. GLXi is probably as Stevie says, a higher spec version when compared to L, GL etc (although I know diddly about modern cars so could be completely wrong Wink )

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that exact model of car, only year later it was my first new company car, I remeber it well as I spent what seemed like for ever looking at the Ford & Vauxhall glossys before I made my choice!.

Ford range was the L, LX, GL, GLX and then top of the range Ghia.

The L was the basic , the LX was a basic with a sunroof and wait for it ; smarter wheel trims.

The GL had electric windows, and a better cloth on the seats and I think a better radio.

I'm pretty sure the GLX was the GL with a sun roof and fog lamps, mine did but did not have leather.

Ghia's had everything (probably what you get in a bog standard car today!)

"I" allways stood for injection what ever model

I remember it well as the cam rattled from about 3000 miles and Ford never got to the bottom of the problem, it had several new cams and bearings, I always suspected it was an oil supply problem, they never seemed that bothered, so I vowed never to have another Ford again!!.

Dave
rdover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently disposed of my Grandfather's car after he gave up driving age 95 and we sold his 30k miles unblemished 1995 Renault 19 top spec model for £500, which I might add we were lucky to get.

Anything with an MOT that starts every morning and is not too nasty must be worth £350 at least. Cheap motoring I reckon
Musicman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for the input, I appreciate it.
Am I right in thinking this ford model comes with a twin cam engine as standard?

Also one other question, I want to take out the sparks and clean or replace them, but I remember last year a garage had to replace a broken in spark plug by, I think it's called helicoiling the hole.

Does this mean the spark plug they replaced will still be standard and can be removed as standard?

ps any body know where I can get the info on how many GLX I models were made in 1991?
stevie_a

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helicoiling is done when a thread has been stripped,
To do it you have to drill out the hole to a larger size then tap a new thread for the heli coil to go in
when fitted should give the same thread as the original hole.

try this link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: