classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cable brakes: what finish on the spiral-wound part
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
greenbeam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Cable brakes: what finish on the spiral-wound part Reply with quote

Hi all,
First off, apologies for my lack of knowledge on brake cables, terminology, etc.

I have remanufactured cables for my 1935 Armstrong Siddeley project (car is in pieces, but it came with refurbished cables). I assume that one doesn't paint the metal spiral protective part, because it needs oil to pass through to the cable. If that is correct, then what if anything should be done to 'finish' the spiral part?

Perhaps just wire brush over the metal and oil the brake lines, perhaps a light clear coating to stop surface rust? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Paul.
ka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older type cables had the inner running directly against the outer flexible sheathing, new cables have a PTFE, Nylon or some other self-lubricating liner between the sheath and the inner cable. These ideally should be lubricated with a silicon based lube, and not oil.
Some of the older cables could be identified by the oil nipple along their length, newer cables do not usually have this.
If you want to disguise the outer flexible, then use some shrink-rap tubing.

Better three than four.
greenbeam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KA, thanks for the reply and info. My cables have the oil nipple along the length, so I suspect no PTFE inner liner. I don't want to disguise the flexible, just not sure if I need to do anything to protect the outer material, and to best look after the cables (oil regularly of course).

Cheers,
Paul.
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience there's no need to 'protect' the inner cable. On many cars, the Morris Eight being an example I'm familiar with, the entire length of the handbrake cables is exposed, ie. there is no outer sheath, and they don't rust. Presumably such cables are made from steel wire that's corrosion resistant.

More to the point is a rubber sheath over the end of the outer to prevent muck getting inside. Attention to such detail has long been a feature of Japanese cars.

Richard
greenbeam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to close off this thread:
1. I wasn't worried about the inner cable, it will be oiled per the owner's manual.

2. I was interested in how to finish and protect the part of the cable covered by a metal, spiral-wound 'sleeve'.

I ended up running over the spiral sleeve with a wire wheel to remove old surface rust, then giving the sleeve a light coat of clear lacquer from a pressure pack can. It will be interesting to see if the clear coating makes any difference.

Cheers,
Paul.
ka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased to read you have reached a point where you are happy. As far as I understand, all flexible cables were exposed, therefore would have rusted, but with little harm to the inner. A clear lacquer maintains the original look, but without the downside of a rusty finish.
As an aside, I use an old oil pumping gun for my motorcycle. I am not sure if the internals are a lot different from a grease gun, but I would suspect the sliding seal is more closer fitting. Anybody have any views?

Better three than four.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: