classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Girling drum brakes problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Girling drum brakes problem Reply with quote

i have a problem with the Bedford CA brakes, basically some pressure is being retained in the system after the pedal is released, when driving it builds up to the point where the brakes are completely on ! and the only option is to release some pressure through a bleed screw.

so Im suspecting a mater cylinder problem (the MC is new) or a shoes spring problem ? its a Girling system any advice welcome Smile

cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the flexi pipes breaking down/collapsing internally perhaps?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Are the flexi pipes breaking down/collapsing internally perhaps?

RJ
nope they are all new

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all wheels binding up, or just one or two?

If it's all of them then it does point to being something fairly central, like the m/c.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rick says. My guess is a faulty valve seal assembly inside the master cylinder or a some foreign matter in there - it only needs to be very small. To be honest I wouldn't fit any new hydraulic cylinder on an oldie without stripping and inspecting it first, the quality can be appalling these days. That's assuming it's affecting all wheels, if just one or two look for bits of crap in the wheel cylinders, and check those flexihoses thoroughly - just because they're new doesn't mean they're good, I've had brand new ones that had a distinctly one way effect. Again, a thorough inspection before fitting is a must these days, I don't think the manufacturers know what quality control means any more Evil or Very Mad
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a quick search and came across this:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/5845-411-front-brakes-lock-up-gradually/

perhaps it will help? good luck Cool
JP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's both sides it would suggest master cylinder.

One side only would be the relevant hose acting as a one way valve.

This is assuming a servo has never been fitted because that opens another can of vermiforms entirely Very Happy

Hope you get it sorted OK Wink
COMMAD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy I had same problem with my CA , when I first put on road. Problem was in Master cylinder, had it reconditioned with all new parts. Problem solved.. The brake guy said it something to do with the return hole in cylinder body not letting fluid return to top of cylinder. My brakes have given no problems for the last 3 years... Very Happy Very Happy
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before going to a lot of trouble, check that there is some free play on the master cylinder push rod. If its too tight the return valve in the m/c cannot function. A simple thing to miss but vital.
How do I know this??????????
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps. Smile

I did slacken the control rod yesterday, but didn't cure the problem Sad so I presume it's an internal MC problem. The MC is a new repro jobbie, I can get a new genuine Girling MC for not too much cash so have ordered one. Part of the reason for doing this is that I have come across repro brake parts before and they have different seals ect, that can't be replaced so putting the right part in seems like a better plan Smile

Emmerson it sounds as if you have story ? Smile

Cheers

Dave
goneps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
...I have come across repro brake parts before and they have different seals etc. that can't be replaced...

Ah, the joys of the modern throw-away world. Slave cylinder leaking? Fit a new one, a cheapie that will also be leaking in less than a year. Disc rotors slightly worn? Fit new ones that'll wear out before the pads. Wheel bearing rumbling? Replace the whole hub. because the bearing can't be removed. And so on—the sheer waste is mind-boggling. Hooray for old cars that can actually be repaired.

Richard
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
The MC is a new repro jobbie, I can get a new genuine Girling MC for not too much cash so have ordered one.
Dave

Dave, let us know how you get on with that genuine master cylinder. It's becoming obvious that I will have to change the clutch MC on my Herald, and there is likewise a choice between genuine and "alternative" - in fact I wouldn't be too surprised if they were the same parts as for your CA. I've resealed the old one a few times but it's not right, a few fiddly bits inside are quite worn. Given that it's probably 50+ years old, and considering how often the clutch gets used I don't suppose it's done too badly Smile
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read in an old Series 1 Landrover club news letter dated from 1991 that someone was suffering with brakes gradually locking on and could only be freed off by slackening the pushrod adjustment..... he later discovered that it was caused by using silicone brake fluid in a system which was not entirely new, so perhaps a side effect of mixing Dot3 or 4 with silicone?

Food for thought....
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
The MC is a new repro jobbie, I can get a new genuine Girling MC for not too much cash so have ordered one.
Dave

Dave, let us know how you get on with that genuine master cylinder. It's becoming obvious that I will have to change the clutch MC on my Herald, and there is likewise a choice between genuine and "alternative" - in fact I wouldn't be too surprised if they were the same parts as for your CA. I've resealed the old one a few times but it's not right, a few fiddly bits inside are quite worn. Given that it's probably 50+ years old, and considering how often the clutch gets used I don't suppose it's done too badly Smile
well I actually got round to changing the MC this weekend, and happily using an original Girling part has cured the problem Smile

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: