classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Inner tubes
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to UKDave's experience, I just took the four wheelsfrom the missus's Wolseley 1500 into the garage to swap the shocking, aged, squirmy tyres that were on it for new rubber. Turns out that three of the wheels had no tubes. The previous owner had been running about like that for years without ( so he says )problems. Is there any safety ( or other ) reason why we shouldnt go tubeless on what was, when it left the factory, a tubed rim? The old set up did produce a very slow deflation on the fronts but my feeling that it was worth it to offset the frightening effect of a tube blow out whilst driving which would lead to not only a dangerous situation ( more so than driving about town a few psi down ) but also put the missus off classic cars for life!

As an FYI, anybody with a Minor / Wolseley 1500 / Riley 1.5 ....the only classic choice tyre I could find for this size was either a Camac, which were already on it and were frightening, or Vredesteins at 140 quid a corner. However, I found 4 Nankang CX -668's on ebay for 150quid! Proper modern radial that reviews surprisingly well and importantly has a tread parttern and wall shape that looks reasonably authentic on '60's car.
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early sixties I had a 1955 standard 8 and I always ran tubeless tyres, as I subsequently did with my 59 & 64 beetles, (my father by the way was the manager of a tyre company). My first company van was a 66 ford Anglia and that had tubeless tyres, I belive they were almost universally fitted to new vehicles from the mid 60s on except for wire wheels.

Morris 8 two seater
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both our '64 Herald and subsequent '68 Vitesse had tubeless tyres from new.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goneps wrote:
Both our '64 Herald and subsequent '68 Vitesse had tubeless tyres from new.

I suspect there's some misunderstanding amongst younger tyre fitters - younger as in most of them working today. My Herald is a '64 too, and like you say had tubeless tyres from the factory. However, several different fitters over the years have assumed that because it's old it must use tubes until I put them right, and tell them that they're just ordinary tubeless tyres like they fit all the time. Actually these days I tend to drop off loose wheels at the tyre depot - decent place at the end of the street - on my way into town and collect them later on in the day, saves a lot of hassle and hanging around. Plus of course I fit the wheels myself by hand and can thus be sure of getting them off again at the roadside Smile
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a couple of tubes a year ago. I was suprised (maybe I shouldn't have been) to find them stamped 'Made in China'. They weren't exactly cheap,they were not as thick as the ones I took out and I wonder if grotty new tubes are actually and better than old quality ones ?.
In the finish on a recommendation I bought another couple of what look like better quality ones (for about the same price) and fitted them instead.
Kenham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would not replace an old tube with a new one as long as it did not have about twenty mis shaped patches stuck to it. In my experience new tubes be it for cars tractors lorrys or even the lawn mower are total rubbish. I find it a disgraceful we can be sold such poor quality goods. You can still buy new valves to fit a tube when the old one starts to part company with the tube. My land rover defender had the original riveted steel wheels so needed tubes but now the tyres seem to have ribs inside and I was mending punctures about six times a week. so fitted discovery wheels threw the tubes away and no flat tyres for six years. Needless to say there is not a lot I like about modern things! Ken
alanb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having riveted wheels does not necessarily mean you have to fit tubes. Early minis were fitted fitted with tubeless tyres from new and they had riveted wheels.

Morris 8 two seater
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to use tubes you must specify heavy duty. The normal ones will give you far too much practice in puncture repair.

That said even buying heavy duty is no guarantee. Here's a brand new Michelin tube that I had to scrap. (The supplier didn't even reply to my complaint!) Yes, the valve fell out!

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
trampintransit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's disgraceful.....I'd write directly to Michelin France.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with that suggestion.I'm not saying the same thing applied in this case but a long while ago I had a 'Dunlop' blow out on a Jaguar,I complained and the tyre was examined by Dunlop who found out it was a fake. Eventually the dealer was prosecuted .
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever follow upon this Peter? I'm stunned and terrified that a branded make would fail like that!!!!
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess no.

Peter Embarassed
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six years after fitting new tyres to my vintage caravan I have noticed that the sidewalls have just started to crack. Although I am threatening to sell the old caravan I think I will fit new tyres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: