classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

I've re-joined the dark side after 29 yrs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put some of that anti-puncture gel into the tyres on the mountain bike I bought, as I mainly use it after dark it's harder to see where hedges have been trimmed or whatever. Still got a slow puncture in the back, though.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question about tubes please:

My hybrid bike has 700 x 35c tyres (Schwalbe)
The tubes fitted are 700 x 28/38 (40mm, Presta)

Am I ok using, say, 700 x 28/35 tubes, as seen on Amazon, ebay etc, or am I better picking tubes where the width range straddles my tyre width, rather than matches the upper figure (in this case 35) - ie stick with 28/38?

thanks, RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be ok, but personally I would go with the same size as fitted

10 tubes for £20 here Click

It means you'll always have a spare or two for emergencies Wink
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
I put some of that anti-puncture gel into the tyres on the mountain bike I bought, as I mainly use it after dark it's harder to see where hedges have been trimmed or whatever. Still got a slow puncture in the back, though.

I persevered with that stuff for years before concluding that it was effectively useless. With 700 rims you should be able to get puncture proof tyres, with a band of something tough between the "canvas" and the tread, I've been using these for half a lifetime now and no punctures at all. No noticeable difference in rider comfort compared with a normal tyre, they cost a bit more but well worth it IMO.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get in a stock of spares then - I popped into the local bike shop, and they sell Schwalbe tubes at a price similar to online, so I picked up one of them for now to get me back on the road.

RJ
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to take today's cycling indoors and did an hour at the velodrome. One fixed gear and no brakes, a tough workout.

V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Italian tyres on my Bianchi would puncture just riding on a rough road. I replaced them with Continental Gator Skins and I have now done about 1700 miles without a problem. They are probably a bit slower than the originals but I am not racing only trying to keep fit.
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice easy 81.5 miles today into the hills. Lunch at Wanlockhead before returning and the weather was dry for a change

emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry chaps, but as with so many things in life, a few have spoiled it for the many.
I hate, loath and detest Lycra clad, arrogant, rude, ignorant louts who clutter up the roads around her in GoC, with the blessing of our local council, even to the extent of closing off our entire valley for a day to allow a few hundred yobs enjoy their hobby. This makes me either a prisoner in my house, or unable to get home if I'm out.
As my hobby is caravanning, I have asked our council to close the road so that I can hold a rally in the village. I wonder what reply I'll get.

Aside from these organised events, these morons also seem to think its good fun to ride three or four abreast, with streams of irate motorists queueing behind them.

Cyclists? Shoot the b*st*rds!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on emmerson, don't sit on the fence, tell us how you feel Smile

RJ
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Come on emmerson, don't sit on the fence, tell us how you feel Smile

RJ

Sorry Rick, I've always been a bit shy at showing my feelings! Very Happy
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]="emmerson";As my hobby is caravanning, I have asked our council to close the road so that I can hold a rally in the village. I wonder what reply I'll get./[quote]

Shouldn't be a problem, Caravans are loved by all.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Sorry chaps, but as with so many things in life, a few have spoiled it for the many.
I hate, loath and detest Lycra clad, arrogant, rude, ignorant louts who clutter up the roads around her in GoC, with the blessing of our local council, even to the extent of closing off our entire valley for a day to allow a few hundred yobs enjoy their hobby. This makes me either a prisoner in my house, or unable to get home if I'm out.
As my hobby is caravanning, I have asked our council to close the road so that I can hold a rally in the village. I wonder what reply I'll get.

Aside from these organised events, these morons also seem to think its good fun to ride three or four abreast, with streams of irate motorists queueing behind them.

As far as those particular cyclists are concerned, I completely agree. Thankfully this valley hasn't been affected by the road closures - yet - and I don't get out at the weekends anyway, but the attitude of the councils involved is completely out of order IMO. Yes! Let's enforce a total shutdown of the public roads across a large chunk of southern Wales just so a few muppets won't have to look where they're going while riding their bikes! Whyever not? Frankly, if they can't cope with a few cars on roads that aren't terribly busy on the whole anyway, they either shouldn't be on a bike in the first place or should stick to the velodrome. Then there's the way they seem to be pushing the Abergavenny - Blaenavon mountain road as some sort of tourist destination for these masochists. Not only is it narrow, winding and steep but for the duration of the A465 dualling works it forms an essential through route for a great many people and as such is rather busy - it's completely unsuitable for cyclists. Until recent years I'd never seen a cyclist on it but now every ascent is reduced to a crawl by these idiots dicing with death. If they're that tired of life then they should be playing Russian roulette in private, not involving everyone else on the road in their personal crises.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC News: "Olympic cyclist Chris Boardman's mother Carol has died after a collision with a pick up truck as she was cycling in north Wales, according to police."

I have deleted my comment on the topic of cyclists.
emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
emmerson wrote:

Well said BB. When I get back we'll organise a two man protest and surround them!

As far as those particular cyclists are concerned, I completely agree. Thankfully this valley hasn't been affected by the road closures - yet - and I don't get out at the weekends anyway, but the attitude of the councils involved is completely out of order IMO. Yes! Let's enforce a total shutdown of the public roads across a large chunk of southern Wales just so a few muppets won't have to look where they're going while riding their bikes! Whyever not? Frankly, if they can't cope with a few cars on roads that aren't terribly busy on the whole anyway, they either shouldn't be on a bike in the first place or should stick to the velodrome. Then there's the way they seem to be pushing the Abergavenny - Blaenavon mountain road as some sort of tourist destination for these masochists. Not only is it narrow, winding and steep but for the duration of the A465 dualling works it forms an essential through route for a great many people and as such is rather busy - it's completely unsuitable for cyclists. Until recent years I'd never seen a cyclist on it but now every ascent is reduced to a crawl by these idiots dicing with death. If they're that tired of life then they should be playing Russian roulette in private, not involving everyone else on the road in their personal crises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: