classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Chrysler Wimbledon
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Mauricio Yeo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe,

Found this on Internet.......

Plymouths sold as ChryslersPlymouths rebadged as Chryslers are not as well known, but are known to have existed in the Thirties, particularly in England. The first model of the Plymouth sold in England was the Q, sold in 1928. The 1930-31 Plymouth 30-U was a direct descendant of the previous 4-cylinder Chrysler, which was itself a direct descendant of the pre-Chrysler Maxwell. It is possible that what we knew as Plymouths were seen as continuations of the Chrysler Four line under the Chrysler name, but I do not know that for sure. I do not know when this practice ended, but there appear to have been no Chrysler-badged Plymouths after World War II, unless one counts the 1957-64 Australian Chrysler Royal, which was basically a '53-'54 Plymouth with a series of heavy facelifts. Canadian and overseas Chrysler dealers also sold the Dodge truck line under the "Fargo" name from 1936-72 (longer in some markets).

According to information provided me [Jim] by a European researcher/writer, the name Plymouth was not well thought of in England--how accurate that statement is may be open to debate, as other Chrysler models were sold under different names as well as Plymouth.

The English Plymouths were sold as Chryslers--in this case the Chrysler Kew and the Chrysler Wimbledon. (Both suburbs of London by the way). The Kew was fitted with the small bore export engine, while the Wimbledon had the regular U.S. built engine.

Only in 1939 did Plymouth market a car as the "Plymouth"--this an equivalent to the Roadking model in the U.S. It had a floor shift transmission. Next in line was the Kew and then the Wimbledon--available in a 7-passenger body type or as a U.S. based convertible coupe although a Carlton bodied four place convertible victoria was offered.

1939 was the last year for the English built "Chryslers". Incidentally the assembly plant was located on Mortlake Road, in Kew, Surrey, near the world famous Kew Gardens. Even the real Chryslers were renamed--including Richmond--and in one case, the "real" Chrysler Eight was sold as a Dodge!

Maybe this explains the "Plymouth-Chrysler" story.

Regards
Mauricio
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mauricio, this car is fascinating me like anything.....

Plymouth opened factories in England, Denmark and Sweden in 1931. These were used for final assembly of SKD and CKD cars. I have zero information as to whether or not these cars were called Kews or Wimbledons, or even rebadged as Chryslers.

Looking again at the P2's records show that 573 of them were shipped with a 170.4 ci engine, (identified by the engine code P2X). A total of 11 102 right hand drive P2's were built. Presumably, the others had the 201's (of which there were 3 versions, incidentally)

Are we progressing, or just going round in circles? i think that we have at least established that it s a 1936 rebadged Plymouth though.....

UJ
Mauricio Yeo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe,
There is no doubt in my mind that it is a rebadged Plymouth. It is a RHD and it does have a 3418cc enhine and number is P2.216081 and reg no. CPP 154.
Thanks for the interest and if I find more info I will fill you in.
Regards
Mauricio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: