classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hillman Super Minx - what air filter ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue hoses are likely [modern?} silicon hosing..much better in quality terms to the old black rubber [less affected by passing oil spillages, for one?}....and appear to be heater hoses.

The pity is, they aren't black!

The old style oil bath filtration systems were probably infinitely more effective at filtration, especially in dusty environments, than any modern paper filter. The oil would need changing for fresh, the element washing in something solvent-like [kero, petrol, whatever?], so one didn't actually purchase anything.

But, they were ousted not for inefficiencies, but for purely cost reasons.

IE, profit?

They were service-intensive, heavy, costly to make, but, with care, would outlast you or me.

Not quite what a manufacturer wanted, really?

So, welcome in the paper element, to be thrown away every other weekend.....replaced by a costly new one.

K&N?

How many owners have K&N filters, yet don't bother with the special K&N filter element cleaner?

Ever tried washing one?

BTW, I once owned a Super Minx estate, bought for £25, and whose investment was recovered when a school teacher drove roundly into it's left rear corner, whilst I was waiting to turn right.

The damage was a dent in the rear corner..such was the thickness of metal, a panel beater simply stated it was not reparable, so I got the write-off value. And continued to drive the car, complete with dent, for another 6 months or so. What hastened its departure from my tenure was the intolerable fuel consumption. The performance really didn't justify the expense.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imperial21 wrote:
I have found a filter that 98% fits the airbox

That's a decent fit, what is it off and does the filter box close properly when assembled?

Kev
norustplease

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy air filter foam which you can cut to size to fit the airbox. My Citroen Traction runs on that without any problems.
Boring Tucson SUV
imperial21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just looking at this on ebay,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-FILTER-DOUBLE-FOAM-SHEET-A3-30cm-x-42cm-EASILY-CUT-TO-SHAPE-OR-SIZE-POLINI-/311704909373?hash=item48930f763d:g:F-YAAOSwB4NWuh5j

I was looking for some thing like this originally.
The filter i used is a tight close as its quite tall, i may go with the ebay one yet, its abit pricey ! i want the old filter on fir the winter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: