classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Is the tourer canopy waterproof?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
AlfieB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Is the tourer canopy waterproof? Reply with quote

I'm looking to purchase a Series 1 or 2 Morris 8, and would prefer a sedan as they appear to be more weatherproof. However, the sedans appear to be quite rare here in Oz, so I'm wondering how weatherproof is the tourer? I have an opportunity to buy one but I'm not sure if it will suit us, so some thoughts from experienced owners would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael.
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Soft Tops Reply with quote

I had a Tourer for a number of years in UK and never had a water leak. The material has to be kept in good condition and no damage.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I think a lot would depend on where you were storing the car, when not in use?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
AlfieB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: re: soft tops Reply with quote

Thanks for that bjacko, I guess the message is make sure the restorer used good quality material.
Rick, it will be stored in a locked weatherproof garage, so will only be exposed to the elements when we take it out for a spin. Perhaps only take it out on sunny days?
Michael.
AlfieB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: re: welcome to the forum Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome Rick. I look forward to learning much from other forum members.
Michael
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great deal will depend upon the skill of the upholsterer who made the hood, and whether he had the correct parts to work with. The hood has to blend well with the four sidescreens, and the front sidescreens must be made to fit snugly against the windscreen frame and the fixed rear sidescreens. There's also the matter of the internal top flap, which if not done correctly can allow crosswinds to blow straight through the car without even slowing down.

Getting all these factors right is as much art as science, and unfortunately there are few decent examples. All original hoods are long gone, of course, and too many replacements deviate considerably from the original design.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: