classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Re Colouring Leather
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
dpr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re Colouring Leather Reply with quote

The leather in mine is a brown/grey shade.

I want to re stain it black.
Has anyone had any success with this.

The last thing I want is peeling or worse, colour coming off on clothes.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that you need to know is if the seats are 100% leather. A lot of manufacturers use leather for hard wearing parts, and imitation leather for things like seat sides...

For the vinyl, there are spray cans available, but they dont work. For leather, there are kits available, but you have to be very very careful with preparation if you want to succeed. Count on £80-100 for a good kit...there are cheaper on the market, but these have a tendency to be poor quality.

Done by a good pro, a life expectancy of 7-8 years can be had, at home, maybe half that, usually less.

UJ
dpr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's connolly hide, once I get the drivers seat restiched it's on to the colour.

This and the headlinning are the winter projects.

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking at woolies site for some materials at the minute.
Frost auto also list the colouring kits.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice that I have given here is not really mine, but has come from a Saddlemaker friend that has been in the business for over 50 years! So I'll thank him on your behalf! Hes doing his best to teach me about leather and all aspects of car interiors.

When you are recolouring leather, there are two main areas that give problems. The stitching, and the welting. so maybe it would be better to recolour first?

The other tip is to be very careful as to the kit you buy. Quite often, they are advertised as being for leather, but are really for vinyl....

Try a company called UK Hides, they are the retailers for Connelly leather, and should be able to help with the correct stuff. If you do contact them, and any of my advice is incorrect, can you let me know?

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: