classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Powder coating costs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Powder coating costs Reply with quote

I've recently bought a new (to me) 1999 Honda xr400 motorcycle. It's in lovely origional condition but needed a few mods.
Last job to do was shorten the side stand by 40mm, job done, it needed refinishing in silver. As the bike will be used for enduros, I wanted things to be resiliant so ruled paint out as it wears quickly and rusts. I have a local powder coated who has always been very reasonable and all the local bike boys used him heavily.
Went to drop off the stand today, it's basically a pipe about 500mm long so nothing special. Found out that the business has changed hands and they now charge a minimum of £25 per item with a minimum of £10 per item if primer is required (plus vat) no cash jobs.
The place was very quiet indeed and I did ask the office if they thought their prices were a little over the top given that small items can be grouped together, they did admit that work has dropped off heavily!

Have you any experience of local suppliers etc raising their prices and loosing small drop in trade?

Kev
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought my local powder coaters had gone up a bit, but it's a few years since I had anything done so it might just be inflation.

I just had a boot catch surround powder-coated, that cost me £15 which I thought was high compared to what I'd paid to have a complete front subframe / crossmember done a few years back, especially as the cost includes having the workpiece blasted, which is way more complex on the subframe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: