classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Advice on broken thread in block
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
traction39

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Advice on broken thread in block Reply with quote

Thought I would ask the experts on this forum the way forward on this one.
My 1936 Light 12 has a broken stud that is firmly corroded into the block. (wet liners) as in the photo. I could attempt to drill out the thread, but what to do with the broken side? If there is enough metal, maybe drill the hole deeper and re-thread and not worry about the break. Get it stitched and re-drilled...what do you think?
Photo 1:
Overall view

Photo 2:
Close-up of broken thread and break at side of chamber.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Citroen Light 15 1953, "12" 1939,
Riley 9 Special 1932
Farmer John

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Citroen block Reply with quote

Oh dear, that is sad. Best fix is a replacement block. The engine really needs to come out anyway, it needs to go into a machine to drill that stud. The chances of getting it with a handheld drill are about one in a hundred. On a good day.
Toolmakers use a spark eroding machine which is the optimum in this case, there might be an engine machinist with one. That stud is rusted in enough to screw the stud off, that is about as difficult as they get.
Dealing with the missing metal is a whole other problem but only you can decide how to remedy that according to how much you want to spend, and what standard you work to.
The liners seem to be flush with the block, may be the photo, but if they do not protrude at least three thou the head gasket might not seal. Might need to pull the liners and re-shim them.
Whatever happens get some top of the line coolant. Go to a lorry or tractor dealer, they have the best stuff because they deal with motors that will not last without it. Would have prevented your troubles.
Hope you can find a replacement.
John
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted on the Antique Auto Clob of America (AACA.ORG)

http://www.tfoye.com/MTE/brokenheadstud.htm

Might be worth a try.

Art
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
This was posted on the Antique Auto Clob of America (AACA.ORG)
http://www.tfoye.com/MTE/brokenheadstud.htm
Might be worth a try.
Art

I have seen a similar thing done with broken studs on large water pumps. Sometimes a slight leak would cause the stud to rust and erode, so when loosing the nut, or sometimes a bolt, it would shear at the eroded part.

Instead of the washer/nut spanner/wrench, a piece of steel bar about 2ft long (2 x 1/2) or similar, with a hole that fitted tight over the stud (as per the washer), but with a large diameter countersink on the outer side to allow room for the welding rod (arc welding). The idea was to shock the stud via the steel bar bar, one person hitting the top of the stud, not too hard and the same time another hitting the steel bar, first in a tightening direction and then in the other. Heat was often applied to the pump casing a slight distance from the stud. Repeated clockwise and anti clockwise without being too greedy.
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it / find it, get it spark eroded. Otherwise I have had success by welding a large nut to the stud and then winding it out. If that fails, you can still fall back to spark erosion.
winchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajlelectronics wrote:
If you can afford it / find it, get it spark eroded. Otherwise I have had success by welding a large nut to the stud and then winding it out. If that fails, you can still fall back to spark erosion.

I have had some good results with this set
https://www.ridgid.eu/gb/en/10-screw-extractor-set
I would talk to a local garage or engineering firm first who has had some experience of this sort of work.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you would need to use a spark eroder on a soft metal stud when it can be drilled carefully to almost the tapping size. I've only used a spark eroded on broken off taps. It needs clamping on a radial drill table and drilling accurately but looks in a very sorry state.
16vmini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

either get it to machine shop and see what they can do ..

if i was doing it in my garage , get a big nut over it , get some really good weld onto it / both ... red hot .. get some heat into it ...

then let cool a bit and then try and undo slowly
16vmini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just spoke to my dad , who had very similar problem on his Morris 8 block , luckily he has a big pillar drill , and drilled down stud dead centre , then opened drill hole to exact size of thread, then picked out thread bits with sharp pointer..

slow .. but worked
52classic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar problem with a manifold bolt on the Zodiac. Drilled it, tried an easy-out....... Snapped the easy-out!

We went for spark erosion and luckily found a machine shop in Ystrad Mynach.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

52classic wrote:
Had a similar problem with a manifold bolt on the Zodiac. Drilled it, tried an easy-out....... Snapped the easy-out!

We went for spark erosion and luckily found a machine shop in Ystrad Mynach.

I did that, with one of the downpipe studs on a Herald manifold. Easiest way out was to swap the whole manifold, think I still have the old one somewhere cluttering the place up... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: