classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The A.J.Butterworth (AJB) swing valve engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
RogerB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: The A.J.Butterworth (AJB) swing valve engine. Reply with quote

Good afternoon to you all on the last day of 2016 (except in New Zealand where it is already 2017!).

I would like to rattle the collective memories of the OCC Forum and ask the the question..
Does anyone who followed motor racing in the early/mid 50's remember the AJB swing valve engine?
I remember it running at Brands in a Tojeiro (?) sports racing car; it was very quick but the engine tended to go 'bang' quite frequently.

As well as my on-going RedeX research I would like to find out more about the AJB.

A happy and healthy New Year to all Forum readers and writers........
Rogerb
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
No doubt you have seen these.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/november-1984/44/archie-butterworth

http://mc-engine-design.996302.n3.nabble.com/Butterworth-swing-valve-td8331.html

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Butterworth-Tojeiro is for sale in Belgium at this very moment:

http://www.prewarcar.com/postwarclassic/classifieds/ad206971.html

mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as if the Tojeiro-Butterworth may have never raced! The car you saw at Brands Hatch was probably the Elva-Butterworth driven by Archie Scott-Brown:

www.elva.com/elva-archie-scott-brown.html
RogerB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information on the AJB engine; it must have been the Elva-AJB I saw at Brands in the 50's.Regrettably I never got close enough to the car in the paddock to see the engine, maybe someone out there has a picture of the engine I can use.
Re Archie Scott-Brown, I remember an apocryphal story about him driving the Lister-Jaguar. He turned the car over and the marshall who went to try and get him out fainted because he could only see one hand not realising that Archie only had one hand anyway......
rogerb
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the engine in the Tojeiro:

There's a nice picture of the engine in the Elva, on the alamy.com website (Crystal Palace page, about 2/3 down) http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/crystal-palace-circuit.html - they may give you permission to use it.
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Two more for you; the original patent drawing for the swing spring, and his single-cylinder prototype engine which I understand has been fitted into a Norton frame:

RogerB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: