classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Even bigger Big Brother.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Even bigger Big Brother. Reply with quote

Just received my copy of 'Old Bike Mart' and I thought I would scan this in. Fair makes yer blood run cold, dunnit.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/donthebat/speedcam-1.jpg
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....And all this for road safety, nothing to do with the millions of pounds it rakes in every year.

I wonder if they have made it Land Rover & chain resistant!!!!
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of a ladder and a large plastic bag. I wonder if it can see out of the back?

Don.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard something about this the other day, and my first thought was a bin bag over the top too Smile

bit sneaky how they can now be painted camouflage green, rather than yellow. I thought the idea was their presence reminded you to keep the speed down, ie a visible presence thus deterring a 'crime', rather than hiding away waiting to catch people out after the event?

driving an oldie that struggles to do 40 seems to make more and more sense doesn't it

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine, by the cycle path, that this photo was taken in Holland. At least there they spend money on cycle paths, rather than in the 'good old UK' where it will fill the troughs deep enough for the MPs to get their snouts, AND trotters in.
Thinking about the cycle path, I wonder if the system would 'crash' in confusion, if Buzzy went past at 40mph on his PF.

Don.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I do have a point to make about a local cycle way. There are cycleways around my local area, on some new roads, but they use half of the foot path, with red tarmack. All good and well, but there are road signs up hig for use by motorcar drivers, but they have a leg either side of the cycle path, and the sign straggling it. I have to duck right down when on the penny farthing, I have often thought about asking the council or the paper to coment, could be quiote comical, but it isn't a great design. I mean if I forgot to duck, my head would get knocked causing me to fall, posibly on to the road. The amount of laughs and cars beeping I get when they see me having to duck, is hillarious!

Cheers

Dave

P.S... You can go very fast on a PF, but it is real scary, as you have to remove your feet from the pedals on a down hill, and hope for the best, no way to bail out untill you slow down, due to a flat or hill section!
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy; you really have to complain about this.The press should take up your case and you will gain national notoriety, the sales of PFs will rocket and the road planners will get a bloody nose.

The health and safety authority have a duty to minority groups and have had to close down many country events in Kent because people with poor intelligence, co-ordination and eyesight may fall over on the rough ground.

Something that endangers a perfectly fit and intelligent young man riding a "slightly" outdated bicycle must be addressed straight away.

Don.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was thinking a simmilar thing, I will pluck up the courage to keep a straight face when complaining one day, when I have some free time, and see what happens!

Cheers

Dave
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy

I can just see how my local Council would deal with the low sign problem.

Judging by some of the idiotic "road improvements" they have created in the town - the scenario would go like this:

After an exchange of letters with five or more departments in the council, you will be summoned to the location of the sign at an inconvenient time for you and told to bring the PF with you.

You would be met by at least 12 people in yellow jackets, two of whom are there to protect the rest from passing cyclists.

They would measure you on the PF and the height of the signs, and calculate the difference.

There would be much discussion about raising the signs but there is probably some Brussels directive that determines the maximum height of the bottom of the sign.

Then there is a great suggestion - they will cut a groove through the pavement under each sign and you can ride in this groove - thereby providing the required headroom.

Trouble is the groove will need to be surrounded by warning signs!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sounds about right, simmilar as around here!

Cheers

Dave
62rebel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and whilst the work is being done, by a large crew of sturdy lads standing around leaning on shovels, supervised by an even LARGER group standing around chattering on cellphones, encircled by traffic cones and "way blocked- go around" signs, traffic will back up for miles in every direction gleefully reported by Jayne the traffic bird on radio. this news will reach you at the BACK end of the queue on your Austins' valve radio just as you notice your temp gauge climbing and the traffic slowing.......
at least, that's how it happens HERE.
old gto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed cameras?
We have cameras mounted to traffic lights to catch red-light runners. Lawyers have been unsuccessful claiming that they are an invasion of privacy. But the Government has gone to adding signs near the intersection equipped with cameras.....
"RedLight Running...
Fine $183.00"
Run the light, camera snaps a picture of your tag number, and a citation is mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah gto we have similar cameras for red light jumping at some junctions, I'm not sure what the fine is here though

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47p2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
yeah gto we have similar cameras for red light jumping at some junctions, I'm not sure what the fine is here though

R

Dangerous or wreckless driving 3 to 6 points and minimum £60.00 fine
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone in the UK gets a Notice of Intended Prosecution following a flash from a speed or red light camera, you are strongly advised to visit this site BEFORE DOING ANYTHING,

http://pepipoo.com

Two friends of mine we flashed by the same camera but followed the advice the site gives and their prosecutions were dropped. I don't know how many other instances with this camera were also disputed, but the authorities have now installed a second camera facing the front of the vehicles to have evidence who was driving!

The site also gives advice on parking tickets as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: