classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin Devon Water Temp Gauge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Classicars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Austin Devon Water Temp Gauge Reply with quote

Hi,
I would like to fit a water temperature gauge on my 1951 A40 Austin Devon.
Any ideas please on the correct gauge and what is needed to fit from the gauge to the sensor for a good reading of the water temperature. Thanks to all.
[img][/img]
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct gauge is a vertically mounted rectangular unit that is one of 4 blocks behind the instrument facia which is held in place by four knurled nuts under the dashboard.
It is controlled by a flexible gas filled line from the back of the unit to the sensor unit that bolts into the top header tank of the radiator.
The unit will need re-gassing and setting up by an instrument technician. Then great care must be used when passing the sensor unit through a suitable hole in the firewall (bulkhead) to it's position in the header tank.
I would assume that a gauge would be available from the Austin Counties Club in the UK.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
The correct gauge is a vertically mounted rectangular unit that is one of 4 blocks behind the instrument facia which is held in place by four knurled nuts under the dashboard.
It is controlled by a flexible gas filled line from the back of the unit to the sensor unit that bolts into the top header tank of the radiator.
The unit will need re-gassing and setting up by an instrument technician. Then great care must be used when passing the sensor unit through a suitable hole in the firewall (bulkhead) to it's position in the header tank.
I would assume that a gauge would be available from the Austin Counties Club in the UK.

Keith

Interesting, my '49 Devon didn't have a water temp gauge.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

I have just checked through one of my Austin A40 manuals (English publication dated February 1952) and the page on Instruments and Controls contains the following information:-
"Water Temperature Gauge
On later cars for the N. American continent a water temperature gauge is fitted in the panel normally occupied by the ignition and radio warning lamps. The normal working temperature for the engine is 165 degrees F."
The block is the extreme right unit.

This temperature gauge was also fitted on Australian cars as mine has one fitted. I assumed that it was available on all A40's. Perhaps it was not available in Britain?

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Classicars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Austin Devon Water Temp Gauge Reply with quote

Hi Keith,
First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback. On my 1950 manual it is said that " On later cars for North America the water temperature gauge fitted on the instrument panel is connected to union on the right hand side of the radiator top tank. This union can easily be disconnected when the radiator has to be removed".
My Austin Devon was built for export to Europe and was exported to Malta in 1951. There is no water temperature gauge in the dashboard panel which is still original. My intension is to add one as our climate is very hot in summer when the car is mostly used.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi8 Classicars,

If your engine and radiator are as nice as your car appears, you should have no trouble with overheating. In Western Australia we frequently have summer temperatures 40-43 degrees C in the shade and the A40's do not boil even though the radiators are not pressurised.

If you particularly want a temperature gauge and cannot find an original, then may I suggest you buy a modern electronic unit. I must admit that after having a number of capillary tubes (from gauge to radiator sensor) fail because of movement and vibration, I have added an after market gauge myself, mounting it just below the dashboard. However, the car never gets anywhere near boiling temperature.

I have checked through my spare parts but unfortunately do not have a spare temp. gauge. Perhaps an American or another Aussie member may have one?

Keith.
1999 BMW Z3
Classicars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Austin Devon Water Temp Gauge Reply with quote

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your nice comments. Yes the car is nice inside and out, top and bottom. I am not in a hurry but I will fit one once I have the gauge and the sensor although I would prefer to keep her in its original state. However, a reading of the water temperature while driving is important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: