classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Problem with photobucket
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Problem with photobucket Reply with quote

Having problems with photobucket. Been told 3rd party hosting is going to cost me $399 a year so that's out. Anyone else experienced problems like this.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accessing photos in PB can be tedious but if you wish to retain access to those stored (for use in another host) it's a relatively quick process using their download feature from the display where you are viewing just one image with the forward and back arrows on left and right. You don't need to wait for downloads to take place. You can simply stack up alternate hits of the "next" arrow and the "Download" command.

See also: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19475

Peter
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a recent change to their terms that prevents using the Photobucket image hosting site to, well, host images for third party sites.

As I understand it, the charge is to enable 3rd party hosting. From what I've read elsewhere, if you've exceeded your 2Gb allowance then the account is locked and cannot be accessed, if you haven't exceeded it then you can login and download any photos you don't have local copies of. I can't see how you would be able to exceed your allowance - surely the upload routine checks this - so maybe they've decreased the allowance as well.

As for downloading your stuff, if you can get access to it, I believe there's a "Download album" link to speed things up.

I can't imagine how PB thinks this will do anything other than lose business for them, and I can't see how they'll ever be able to get people to trust them again. If nothing else, though, it should make us all think about where we store stuff that we want. I've got countless links to PB in various threads and sites, some of which I've forgotten and won't be able to repair. Thanks, PB.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded a couple of pix on photobucket on Tuesday(with a struggle through the adverts etc) & then copied them to the Pre67 forum - worked OK but a hassle,cheers,JD.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's some variation on whether it'll work or not.
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've had no problems with Photobucket - apart from it becoming very slow and clunky - but since this topic is cropping upon every forum I access, I thought it time to investigate other options.

I have uploaded a number of pics onto postimage, and here is one as a test:

Edit: well that was pretty painless, and seems to work ...
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike
I use Postimage now.

Which link did you use? I normally use the "Hotlink for forums" clicking on the copy icon to the right.
But it then leaves bits before and after the image.

EDIT

It didn't do it then, so ignore the question.

You might find that you have to do a "forgot password" every so often unless that is my laptop failing to remember.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Flickr.
MAL_9998 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,I used the 'hotlink for forums' code which worked correctly,but on another forum I have to delete the initial [] section containing the url=https details,and the final [url] section - in other words the link starts with [img] and ends with [/img]

I tried Flickr but have so far found it confusing and less than intuitive - but then I'm a simple soul who understands magnetos but gets all confused when electronics takes over Very Happy
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until these ransom notes started appearing I thought it was a good idea for the forum to make use of free image hosting but if we lose all illustrated old threads it makes me doubt it.

Peter
Kenham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem unfortunately, lots of pictures but don't really understand the process of putting them on the forum. I find life too short to spend any more time messing with the computer trying to fathom the work of Lucifer. As said, ok with a magneto though.
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually came over into this section of the forum to post a thread about this! Tried to use photobucket to post a pic of my new Vauxhall Royale and it tried to get me to pay a ransom to enable third party hosting. Um, I don't think so! Posted it with Imgur.com in the end, which is far, far quicker and easier than slow old photobucket. The only problem is that you can only hold a limited number of photos on there without paying extra, so as soon as you upload a new picture, an old one gets deleted off.
Another forum I'm on has a photo uploader built in which is at the bottom of the text box. You click 'browse' and you can upload photos straight off your computer onto the forum. It's certainly much easier to upload pictures on there and cuts out the middle man.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H wrote:
The only problem is that you can only hold a limited number of photos on there without paying extra, so as soon as you upload a new picture, an old one gets deleted off.

That's the case with most of them, and to be fair most use the same model that PB had been using - offer a free account, then try to tempt the users into upgrading with offers of more storage, faster access, whatever. The issue is that they changed terms, without warning, and broke a lot of threads. There's nothing to suggest that any of the others won't do the same thing, especially if PB stick around and manage to keep some of their users.

Richard H wrote:
Another forum I'm on has a photo uploader built in which is at the bottom of the text box. You click 'browse' and you can upload photos straight off your computer onto the forum. It's certainly much easier to upload pictures on there and cuts out the middle man.

Yes, I've seen that on a few as well, and some that use something like imgur to host on their behalf. Just means that the forum needs a lot more storage, and maybe that increases their costs so adverts start taking over to pay for it, for example.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
The issue is that they changed terms, without warning, and broke a lot of threads. There's nothing to suggest that any of the others won't do the same thing, especially if PB stick around and manage to keep some of their users.

That's my feeling too.

We could go through our old threads and change the image links but that would be a massive task to do manually. I'm sure it could be done with a script if we found and acceptable host.

Peter
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the photos of the rebuild of my D-type, my E-type and the build of the Kettle C-type amongst others have gone. I am currently rebuilding my photos with Flickr but I just can't see me trying to post everything again, so the story is now lost.

It has taken me a few frustrating days to understand Flickr but find that it is far easier to upload in bulk and create new albums than Photofookit ever was. I am interested in Postimage but am concerned about copyright. Is there a way of protecting your photos like Flickr has? On Flickr all my photos are private, but with Facebook you have given away your rights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: