classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Head gasket leak?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
MattF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Head gasket leak? Reply with quote

Just got my s1 Morris 8 going again and instead of putting water in the radiator I put coolant in - now the more she's running the more light grey smoke comes out the exhaust. That along with it sounding like I have an air leek makes me wonder if my head gasket is going but not being very mechanically minded I really don't know. I do know that the last time I blew it I lost a chunk of gasket between 3rd and 4th Shocked I replaced it with a nice new copper gasket but again didn't really know what I was doing so could have gone bust again??
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other ind9icators of a broken head gasket are bubbles in the radiator, coolant loss and coolant in the oil, making the oil appear milky.

When you replaced the last gasket, did you make sure that all surfaces were perfectly clean before fitting? After torquing down, did you re-torque the head after a short run, and repeat after (say) 50 to 100 miles, and check again after about 500 miles?

When I had a Series E I found that on each torque test, the gasket had settled a bit requiring a movement of an eighth to a quarter of a turn on the head studs. Following that I set off on a rather extended tour through some rather inhospitable country.

MattF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I'm off work for another week so will check all those things tomorrow! I'm pretty sure I did retiten the head down once after a couple of short runs but it wasn't long after then that she was parked up.
I have spoken to one of the older guys in the club and he's not sure it would be the head leaking however if I find any of the other symptoms you have mentioned I'll take it off and try a clean down and reseal.
Otherwise I may have to get someone to look at it Sad
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt

There is a guide to replacing the M8 head gasket on the link below:

http://morrisregisterspares.co.uk/?product=gh680-morris-8-s12-head-gasket-fully-swagged-water-apertures

Scroll down and click on the guide to enlarge.

Cheers

Dave
MattF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, from what I've described would you think it is the gasket? I have blown one out before and I can't say I'd sounds like it did then however was wondering if this time instead of blowing it out I may have a creeping leak? Is that possible with a copper gasket?
Also if it turns out to be just a creeping leak could i reuse the old gasket? Maybe if I could anneal it?
MattF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's heard the term "Italian tune up" right? I thought it only applied to cars made to go fast but.... After a bit more studying of my car and putting a piece of ply under the exhaust to catch the liquid that was dripping out I thought it looked like just water. A quick google later and the whole internet seemed to agree that it was just water and soot so I just took her for a good run to warm up and then gave her "heaps" (Morris 8 heaps not Nissan Silvio heaps). Pulled her in the drive and she's running clean as a whistle!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are sorted Smile there have been quality problems with M8 head gaskets, there were some sold from NZ, although I suspect they were made in India, they didn't have swaged water apertures and could slice a finger off on the unfinished edges!

The ones the MR now sell are UK made and far better quality Smile

Cheers

Dave
MattF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Glad you are sorted Smile there have been quality problems with M8 head gaskets, there were some sold from NZ, although I suspect they were made in India, they didn't have swaged water apertures and could slice a finger off on the unfinished edges!

The ones the MR now sell are UK made and far better quality Smile

Cheers

Dave

The last one I got was from the Morris Eight Tourer Club NZ. I don't know what "swaged" means - is that where the copper goes around inside the holes? If so then from memory yes it was swaged. Don't know where the club would have gotten them from but we are quite lucky that they maintain a really good parts stock Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: