classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Wood floor replacement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Wood floor replacement Reply with quote

Whilst fitting new sills and repairing a and b panels on my ford 103 I found the plywood floors are coming apart. I understand these should be ash. Where can I get solid timber floors for my car. If that's not possible I guess it's marine ply well sealed and painted
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pre war Morris and post war MGA all have plywood as standard, as you state marine ply is the way to go.

Dave
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to buy a whole sheet of marine ply £60, have to say it's the best ply I've ever seen. Will use the rest for record player plinths. Cut the drivers side piece to size and will pva it before painting.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used marine ply on the floors of my 7W, I used some of the leftovers to do the shelf between spare wheel and boot.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Had to buy a whole sheet of marine ply £60, have to say it's the best ply I've ever seen. Will use the rest for record player plinths. Cut the drivers side piece to size and will pva it before painting.

Was that a full 8'x4' sheet, and what thickness? Thinking of getting some to make up a new kitchen sink unit that won't fail with dampness like the chipboard ones inevitably do and an idea of price is no bad thing to have.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the MGA & M8's use 3/8" (9mm) ply;

Local price for an 8' x 4' sheet of Birch Ply ,Waterproof phenolic bond between Birch layers, solid plywood, Birch throughout. Marine Quality, is £32 + vat

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Both the MGA & M8's use 3/8" (9mm) ply;

Local price for an 8' x 4' sheet of Birch Ply ,Waterproof phenolic bond between Birch layers, solid plywood, Birch throughout. Marine Quality, is £32 + vat

Dave

Thanks for that. I'm surprised at only using 3/8" for floors, I kind of expected it would be 1/2" at least.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:

Was that a full 8'x4' sheet, and what thickness? Thinking of getting some to make up a new kitchen sink unit that won't fail with dampness like the chipboard ones inevitably do and an idea of price is no bad thing to have.
yes full sheet of 3/4"
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1947 Jaguar has a 1/2" ply floor. I bought marine grade and gave it three coats of varnish. I might wrap them in plastic when i finally fit them. Either that or a thick coat of under seal.

Art
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1947 Jaguar has a 1/2" ply floor. I bought marine grade and gave it three coats of varnished. I might wrap them in plastic when i finally fit them. Either that or a thick coat of under seal.

Art
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut the two floor panels from the sheet of marine ply, coated them in pva, primer and gloss black. Today I fitted both floors and raised the seats on 3" X 2" timber as both myself and 'er indoors struggled to see over the bonnet and with all that headroom to spare it made sense. Painted with primer and tomorrow will gloss black them. Give it a couple of days and fit the carpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: