classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Insurance on a Classic Caravan
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
outoftheblueintothenight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Insurance on a Classic Caravan Reply with quote

Hi

I need to insure a classic Caravan that I have just bought, its currently 47 years old.

I have tried a few companies but keep getting told - its too old and they only insure upto and including 20 years old!

Any help would be great - I have paid a few quid for it and have some plans to spend even more cash on it!

its a Constructam 1960 classic caravan.4 berth (Belgium)

Thanks!

here are a few pictures of the said Caravan!

1.5ran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,I own a riley 1.5..the ins is with peter s taylor & co..phone 01273 820303 / 329307 they advertise for all your ins needs,no guarantee but worth a try or maybe the classic caravan club?
gillberry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
we joined the caravan club to get our for the Fawn insured, it also gives you use of all the sites which is good with a small caravan their toilets are nicer Laughing
Tam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Caravan Insurance Reply with quote

Duplicate

Last edited by Tam on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Tam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Caravan Insurance Reply with quote

Hi Outoftheblue....

We have exactly the same problem as you - 40 year old continental caravan (Suleica Rally 70) that none of the insurance companies have listed, and therefore cannot quote on. I posted much the same post here several months ago but unfortunately I still have had no luck.

I have tried the number for Peter S Taylor - they are going to try to get me a quote so will let you know how I get on.

I'll let you know if I find anywhere as I'm guessing we are probably looking for similar insurance.

Tam
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two schools of thought on how to insure your classic caravan.

If it is a very rare model that you would want rebuilt in the event of an accident, you will need "agreed value" insurance for the total cost of a rebuild, and will have to pay a high premium.

Alternatively, in the case of my Safari, if it was written off or even suffered minor damage, I could easily purchase one in a similar condition to mine. So what I have done is to insure mine with the Caravan Club for £1000 with £500 contents that only costs me £35.00 as I have four years no claims bonus.

£35 is their minimum charge so as my NCB has gone up, I have increased the caravan value.

You have to be a member of the CC (£32) so the total cost is just over £1 a week.

Hope this helps
Tam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. The problem I still have is that most insurers do not recognise the make and therefore will not insure it (if it's not on their list...)

I have had one insurer say that they will insure it, but need it to be valued and and underwriter to assess it This will be great when it's finished, but it's currently stripped bare and the refurbishment is in full swing (at this time it is totally gutted in preparation for the outside to be re-coated and the new interior and windows to be fitted - not exactly pretty!).

I think we will have to take this option once the work has been done and we can have it properly valued...
outoftheblueintothenight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still trying to get insurance!

WOW I never thought it would be so hard to give an insurance company some cash!

I will joing the Caravan Club - and lets see what they say, I dont want to insure it for `000's but would like to try and get some of my cash back if something happens!

Ohhh the joys!
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that you can get a quote before joining the CC, but membership is compulsory before the insurance can be taken out.

Their tel no for insurance is 01342 336610.
outoftheblueintothenight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they dont want to touch it due to the age - well they will but would only insure it for about £800.00 Rolling Eyes

they did suggest Footman James though - thats my next call!
old van man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck ! Tried them last year and got nowhere. I rang all round and it seem's that if the van's more than 25 years old they are not interested i also had a couple of numbers from the H.C.C still no joy!
I did find a site called www.american-caravans.co.uk and they recomend a company called caravan plus this is for airstream caravans, but they may do cover for other vans ?
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we tried footman james as our cars are with them but my other half got fed up with all the questions pictures etc thats why we used the caravan club
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the members of my Safari Group posted this last year, and it gives the details of the Company he uses for his Safari.

Four years ago I insured my 1980 17/2 for £7,500, on the basis that I felt that would allow for all reasonable eventualities, even though that is vastly more than I paid or that I could ever expect to sell it for, and the insurers were happy to accept this for an agreed value. That is just as well, because in a moment's carelessness a year ago in a car park that turned out to be an Olympic grade obstacle course I slightly graunched one side against a knee-high stone wall, and there was no quibble whatsoever at replacing the panel and having a new wheel spat made to pattern.

Not many insurers will offer an agreed value "classic caravan" policy, but one that does is

Drewe Insurance;
The Post House,
14 Load Street,
Bewdley,
Worcs.,
DY12 2AE,
01299-401663.

They will, as routine, ask for a recent photograph if you want a classic policy. I have no vested interest in recommending them; I am merely a well satisfied customer who has been with them for perhaps twenty years.

Might be worth a call.
outoftheblueintothenight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
One of the members of my Safari Group posted this last year, and it gives the details of the Company he uses for his Safari.

Four years ago I insured my 1980 17/2 for £7,500, on the basis that I felt that would allow for all reasonable eventualities, even though that is vastly more than I paid or that I could ever expect to sell it for, and the insurers were happy to accept this for an agreed value. That is just as well, because in a moment's carelessness a year ago in a car park that turned out to be an Olympic grade obstacle course I slightly graunched one side against a knee-high stone wall, and there was no quibble whatsoever at replacing the panel and having a new wheel spat made to pattern.

Not many insurers will offer an agreed value "classic caravan" policy, but one that does is

Drewe Insurance;
The Post House,
14 Load Street,
Bewdley,
Worcs.,
DY12 2AE,
01299-401663.

They will, as routine, ask for a recent photograph if you want a classic policy. I have no vested interest in recommending them; I am merely a well satisfied customer who has been with them for perhaps twenty years.

Might be worth a call.

Deff worth the call - they dont see no reason why they could not insure it! Forms are in the post for me so we can agree a value for it!

Fingers crossed - this is the closest I have got so far to getting the caravan insured!

Wink
outoftheblueintothenight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RESULT!

Thanks for the info
Drewe Insurance;
The Post House,
14 Load Street,
Bewdley,
Worcs.,
DY12 2AE,
01299-401663.

managed to get an agreed classic policy with these people - £3,000 plus £750.00 for contents

£98.00 for the year

Nice people to talk and that always helps!

Caravan is now insured!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: