classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Modern(ish) cars suffering with rot
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all people, Mercedes really screwed up at the turn of the century with the accountants ruling the engineers. That period C and E class cars are now quite a rear sight on the roads. Body rust, collapsed suspensions, they had it all in spades.

rust by Tony Brown, on Flickr
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my customers has just bought an MX5. So concerned was he about the potential for rot he has invested in a Dinitrol treatment. He has paid £100 for a kit and employed someone to apply it.

I have used Dinitrol before but not found it to be better or worse than anything else.
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to apply in cold temperatures though.

My everyday runabout is a Rover 600 (T reg). There is no rot anywhere on it, at 140,000 miles. That's because I keep the arches free from mud and keep the car clean (though not as clean as the classics). Yes the Rover is worthless but it still gets the preventative and essential maintenance it needs.

A work colleague has an 06 Focus which is starting to rot on the inner and outer sills.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Bilt-Hamber rustproofing waxes a little easier to apply than the Dinitrol, but either is streets ahead of Waxoyl.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
I find the Bilt-Hamber rustproofing waxes a little easier to apply than the Dinitrol, but either is streets ahead of Waxoyl.

My father used to treat his walking boots with warm Waxoyl, it kept the leather supple and it was a very efficient rust preventative as his boots never rusted!
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the dim and distant past I used to spray sump oil to the underside of my Austin A30. It seemed to work as well as anything that came from a shop. Wink
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

I worked in a multi franchise garage in Toronto in 1964 and the Rolls Royce mechanics did this too when the cars came in for service.

Art
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohn wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:

My father used to treat his walking boots with warm Waxoyl, it kept the leather supple and it was a very efficient rust preventative as his boots never rusted!

I remember my army boots but never had mild steel ones though Wink
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Ray,

I worked in a multi franchise garage in Toronto in 1964 and the Rolls Royce mechanics did this too when the cars came in for service.

Art

I guess it must have been common practice in days gone. I worked in my Dad’s garage as a lad and he did this for his regular customers. I expect health and safety would prohibit the practice these days. Goodness knows what chemicals are in oil these days. Rolling Eyes
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
47Jag wrote:
Ray,

Art

I guess it must have been common practice in days gone. I worked in my Dad’s garage as a lad and he did this for his regular customers. I expect health and safety would prohibit the practice these days. Goodness knows what chemicals are in oil these days. Rolling Eyes

Well, I'm not so sure. Go to any DIY shed and buy a can of "creocote" - sold as a substitute for proper BS coal tar creosote that was banned by the EU several years ago. Take the lid off and have a sniff, watch carefully as you pour some into a tin and try brushing it onto timber - and then see if you think it's anything more than an expensive way of obtaining old sump oil.

I've used old oil under cars when skint, it works but makes an awful mess so it wouldn't be my first choice.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect we forget how filthy dirty working garages used to be. Mechanics were looked down on, poorly paid and generally wore boiler suits that were caked in black grease. The world has changed so much. These days we have “technicians” who work in clean garages and are at ease with technology. They would have no truck with spraying sump oil under a car, I don’t suppose.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember spraying hot waxoyl and sump oil into sills...did the job, however, on a very hot summer's day, where ever I parked, there would be two lines of oily drips on the road surface, as the waxoyl melted in hte sun...and ran out of the drain holes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: