classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Zebra crossing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Zebra crossing. Reply with quote

Amazing the things that you find if you have the stomach to surf the political blogsites. sorry about the political content. I quote:

Zebra crossing reinforces a truism
It appears the Oliver Letwin's mind has boggled upon discovering that the cost of a Zebra-crossing is £114,000. Personally it doesn't surprise me one bit, but then I read Hansard so much these days that insane figures for things that should not cost as much as they do is par for the course.

Apparently the Zebra-crossing cost is "made up of £11,000 for designing each crossing, despite their apparent similarity, £16,000 for the equipment and £87,000 for the labour". The breakdown of figures certainly reinforces a truism. It's always labour that stings you!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am going to set up a private contacting company that will install a Zebera Crossing for £100 000!

One zebera crossing a year and I am done! hehe

Cheers

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Buzzy... if you need a business partner, let me know.
The only problem may be getting awarded the contracts without having to hand over most of the 100k in bribes (allegedly).

Don.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd quite like the job of designing them for £11,000 a pop.

I'd probably start with a white block on the road next to which I would add a black one, then perhaps another white on followed by...umm..er...I know another black one until the road is crossed. Laughing

I can see why they charge so much that was kinda hard Rolling Eyes
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember: you have to get them in the right order all the way across...
Get two white ones together and some indidgenous European could seem invisible, and if you ge two black ones together the ramifications are unthinkable.
Obviously it is not an easy job and anyone that can do it is well worth the £11000.

Don.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, then there are the possible effects of the 'strobe' effect of the beliesha beacons, wouldn't want to induce a fit and be sued by some innocent eppileptic pedestrian.

I'm beginning to see the complexity of the task now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: