classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hello everyone, I have just got a Singer Gazelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Kimstra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Hello everyone, I have just got a Singer Gazelle Reply with quote

Hello, newbie here Very Happy
About 30 years ago my dad bought a 1965 Singer Gazelle, he drove it round for a few years but then the clutch went, unfortunately the garage who done the work didn't know what they were doing and made a complete mess of It, one evening my dad reversed it into his garage and it got stuck in reverse, they tried to release it to no avail and that's were she stayed! I've been asking him for years if I can have it to restore and he has finally agreed so 25 years after her last feel of sunshine we dragged her out! (Very undignified)
As you can imagine every tyre was flat so we jacked her up put her on roller blocks and started work straight away! My husband jumped in and to our surprised managed to free her from reverse!!! All the tyres pumped up, the prop shaft was disconnected so we could roll her back and forth easily, the handbrake is stuck on so all the brakes were disconnected and wheels put back on! We then wanted to look at the engine! She turned a few times but then stopped Sad
Next we hired a trailer to get her the 180 miles back to our house (watford-cheshire)
I am going to strip the engine completely (my husband is a bystander for this part) and do a complete rebuild! I know this isn't a job for the faint hearted but I think it's the best thing to do (I used to strip cars so its something I am more than capable of doing that part I've just never put one back together)
Her body is very tidy (she has no dents) but she will need a full respray as when the previous owner renewed the front wings he brush painted them :/
The seats are mint, no sagging , rips or discoloration but she needs a new roof liner and carpet!
I am really excited to be starting this new project....it's been a long time coming!
Sorry it was such a long read Wink
I am a complete techniphobe and have no idea how to put pictures on here so i will ask my husband TomH too when he gets home
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a very worthwhile project, especially with the family ownership.

We bought a Gazelle to tinker with years back, lovely cars in my opinion.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Kimstra.

There are quite a few past and present owners of Rootes cars here and we will look forward to your reports and hopefully photos too. We might even be able to offer advice if you run into problems. Wink

Peter
Kimstra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Sounds a very worthwhile project, especially with the family ownership.

We bought a Gazelle to tinker with years back, lovely cars in my opinion.

I was promised it from about the age of 14 so its been a long time coming! My mum don't want to see it until it's finished but I think that will be a while lol
I love them! A lot more character than a modern car
Kimstra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Welcome to the forum Kimstra.

There are quite a few past and present owners of Rootes cars here and we will look forward to your reports and hopefully photos too. We might even be able to offer advice if you run into problems. Wink

Peter

Thank you
I'm sure I will need a lot of advice along the way!
When they put it away they lost the log book and she's not been sorn so that's my 1st job
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun project, it'd be worth getting hold of the factory manual and illustrated parts list (unless you have them already?).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Kimstra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Sounds like a fun project, it'd be worth getting hold of the factory manual and illustrated parts list (unless you have them already?).

RJ

I am going to do that, I think there's a few on eBay! I looked for a Haynes manual but they don't do gazelle
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimstra wrote:
Rick wrote:

RJ

I am going to do that, I think there's a few on eBay! I looked for a Haynes manual but they don't do gazelle

If you find a Minx one, for a similar year, it'll cover most of the important stuff.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Kimstra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Kimstra wrote:
Rick wrote:

RJ

If you find a Minx one, for a similar year, it'll cover most of the important stuff.

RJ

Ah brilliant Thank you
Kimstra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to add pictures on here (till husband's in) so I've put them on the Facebook page
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I am fairly sure that you don't need to SORN it until you actually apply for a V5.
On the other hand if you do SORN it now you will also have to insure it under the continuous insurance requirements.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Kimstra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
I am fairly sure that you don't need to SORN it until you actually apply for a V5.
On the other hand if you do SORN it now you will also have to insure it under the continuous insurance requirements.

I'm going to insure it ASAP, I have a mk2 Astra on the drive that only gets driven in summer but I insure her all year just for piece of mind
TomH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys here she is. Shes a series V. Can anyone advise on correct paint name (kim thinks holly green, and think it looks more sage green)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155195502455496&set=pcb.1806590476081175&type=3&theater

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: