classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vin plates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
richardlw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Vin plates Reply with quote

I'm trying to help a friend with the restoration of his A35 van. Among things I'l be looking for is a vin plate, as he does not have one. His papers list 9UH101183 for both chassis and motor.

Which is it?

I know there are VIN plates available for some British cars (I got one for my Mini and 2 for another friend with 2 Minis. (Over the years, for whatever reason front panels were replaced or repaired without the plates being replaced.)

Is this one of the Austin plates available like this? https://usa.minisport.com/lmg1025-austin-chassis-engine-plate.html
Richard H

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number your friend has there is the engine number. 9= 948cc, U= central floor gearchange, H= high compression engine, then 101183 is the number.

The chassis plate is similar to that but I think that is a later sixties one. On the A35 it should be on the lefthand front door pillar and doesn't list the engine number. That is on a separate plate on the engine block, just above the dynamo.
I would say it's most likely to be an AV5 (1956-62) and if it is then the chassis number will be as follows.

AV5L-HCS-101183 (The 'L' is for left hand drive, and the number is the same as the engine number. The HCS or LCS stand for low compression or high compression engine). Assuming the engine is original, of course! Vans usually tended to have low compression engines but this one has a high compression version.

I'm not with my A35 at the moment, but I'm sure this is the style of chassis plate it has. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Mk1-1959-61-Chassis-Plate-Austin-Seven-Early-BMC/142707411267?epid=1050471521&hash=item213a064943:g:7QoAAOSwd8FamDvb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: