classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Differences between a pre war 7,8,and 9 ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rusty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Differences between a pre war 7,8,and 9 ? Reply with quote

A while ago I picked up a very derelict Triumph engine of some sort and after looking online it must be either a 7, 8, or 9, and just wondering how to tell the difference. If I can ID what it is I may find someone I can give it to who may be able to use something off it. Although its in poor order someone may be able to use some bits off it.
MikeG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rusty
The Australian contact of the Pre-1940 Triumph Motor Club can be reached via.
jsh95062@bigpond.net.au
Good Luck
Mike
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no real difference between a Super Seven and a Super Eight - both were side valve 56.5mm bore x 83mm stroke (832cc), the Eight produced an extra ½bhp!
The Super Nine was a bit larger - 1018cc (60mm x 90mm) - and also had overhead inlet valves, so easily distinguished from the Seven/Eight.
Rusty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mikes C&G !
It must definitely be either 7 or 8 then because its definitely side valve, not F head, and sounds like the mechanicals will all be the same anyway. (there is only mechanicals and a clutch on it, all the accessories are missing)

I took a couple of photos on my phone when I was up at the farm and have managed to download them onto the computer but haven't posted a photo for a couple of years now since the photobucket fiasco. I aren't registered anywhere else yet so I better get my act together and register on a different site so I can put a couple of pickys up !
I think before I contact the Triumph club people I will have a look for a serial number, that's just something I plain forgot all about while I was up at the familys farm where it is now stored (200 miles away).

Thanks blokes
Graham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: