classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Stamp collecting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Stamp collecting Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm no collector of stamps, so know very little about them, but I do have a few from the 1860s to the 1930s(ish). I did make a start at trying to identify some of them, many are British, others are from around the globe as in most collections I suppose.

Does anyone here collect stamps?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not serious started to when at school and got a few album's from boot sales also have a stanley gibbons book handy to check up on stamp's, i think like a lot of old hobbies there is less people doing it, do you know of anyone doing fretwork now, something else i did just before leaving school and of course flying control line model aircraft when i started work even when in the army!.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to collect Green Shield ones once Very Happy
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still got some pink one's!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One old chap at my work collects stamps. I didn't believe him at first, he is a welder by trade and is always dirty and grubby and his fingers are permanently blackened! Not the type you would think of collecting small delicate stamps.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't collect stamps (any more, I was a keen collector in my teenage years) but I like to buy the Royal Mail's pictorial issues when I can. The trouble is, they are very difficult to get hold of; this week saw the issue of a set commemorating 100 Years of the RAF - I have tried every Post Office in the area, and non of them has been issued with any copies!

According to the Royal Mail website, April sees the issue of a set of British wild animals, but it's now the 25th March and they still haven't announced the date of issue Rolling Eyes
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not pre-order them from Royal Mail?
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Go to your local post office and make a point of telling them what a good job they do.

Phillatery will get you anything!

I've been waiting ages to try and get that pun in

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Can you not pre-order them from Royal Mail?

Oh yes, Royal Mail have an online shop from which you can buy many of the old issues ... and then charge nearly £4 postage for a package which costs the general public 65p!
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

There is a division of the Post Office that sells new issue stamps located in Edinburgh. The only reason I know is that they used one of our mainframe computers. I think you might have to register for updates.

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/stamps-collectibles-gifts

Art

Last edited by 47Jag on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

There is a division of the Post Office that sells new issue stamps located in Edinburgh. The only reason I know is that they used one of our mainframe computers. I think you might have to register for updates.

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/stamps-collectibles-gifts

Art
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of warning on special issue stamps. Not too long ago I bought some out of print books from a dealer in such things over the 'net. They arrived in a parcel almost covered in special issue stamps - some of them with face values including halfpennies, and all of such low values that they were obviously issued a good few years ago. I can only assume this chap had bought them as an "investment" back in the day, and looked up the prices they were now fetching expecting a big payout - only to find they were worth no more than their original face value. Might as well stick them on these parcels then... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The Stanley Gibbons catalogues show what they charge purchasers.
I have occasionally managed to get 50% when selling some of the special edition sets (usually the ones with other than stamp interest such as transport, cuddly animals or book/author related.
Othe than that I reckon 10% or just over face is the best to reckon on.

On a similar theme a lot of the "collectors" stuff that Franklin Mint sold is hardly worth the storage space.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
The Stanley Gibbons catalogues show what they charge purchasers.
I have occasionally managed to get 50% when selling some of the special edition sets (usually the ones with other than stamp interest such as transport, cuddly animals or book/author related.
Othe than that I reckon 10% or just over face is the best to reckon on.

On a similar theme a lot of the "collectors" stuff that Franklin Mint sold is hardly worth the storage space.

Straying way off topic here, but I remember one of these firms that makes all sorts of junk advertising in the back of one of the TV guides - must be a good few years ago now if we were bothering with a TV guide. One week they were selling a figurine that was meant to be the late Princess Diana - it looked nothing like her. The next week they were selling one of Shirley Bassey - that looked nothing like her. On retrieving last week's magazine from the recycling box, however, the two figurines bore a remarkable similarity to each other and were obviously the same moulding painted up in different colours. Probably they did multiple others, passing them off as pretty much any famous woman that ever wore a long dress. IMO there must be some real idiots about to be buying rubbish like this, but the firms obviously know their market as they just keep on going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: