classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Air line fittings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Air line fittings Reply with quote

I have a problem with my workshop air line. It leaks terribly at the end of the line where the hose connects to the particular tool. All of the tools have the same Sealey male ends but I do wonder if the problem lies with the hose end fitting itself which came with the hose. Anyone with similar experience and general advice on hose and fittings please? I did wonder if the much discussed PCL fittings might be better but when I look online the sealey fittings are generally quite a lot more expensive than PCL (?)
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably of no help whatsoever, but all my regular-use fittings are of the 'euro' type. There is a certain amount of leakage, but not enough that the wee compressor cannot keep on top of.

An issue I have recently come across concerns teh cheap[er] tools, gauges, etc from ebay.
These are cheap largely because they are made in China...and the Chinese seem to be in a world of their own regarding airline fittings....very little if any are available individually here in the UK.
The Chinese are also reluctant to use BSP threads, which is annoying to say the least. Whereas most threaded fittings easily available in the UK are BSP threaded!!

I have had to make up an adaptor hose [very short] just to enable these bits of kit to connect....the world or airline fittings is indeed a confused one. Thank you Screwfix!

Does PTFE tape adequately seal the threaded portion of an airline fitting?
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention Sealey. I used to regard this as top quality but when I bought a new Sealey compressor it proved to be far from satisfactory. In fact it was rubbish and within a year ended up on the tip. I now have a wolf compressor and it has been good so far.

I would go for genuine PCL fittings.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCL may be expensive but in the long run, far less hassle and they last for ages. I have them on all my air tools etc
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
PCL may be expensive but in the long run, far less hassle and they last for ages. I have them on all my air tools etc

I agree, once you have your hose fittings sorted it just means spending a couple of quid on a PCL fitting for each tool.

Dave
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for comments. Looks like I will go the PCL route and change them all. I don't have that many so not a huge job.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCL fittings bought on ebay and fitted with much better sealing.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Tape on joints Reply with quote

yes PTFE tape. will seal threads on airlines. pcl type connectors are good. I have a mix on. things but will be converting later to same type across all tools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: