classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Work gloves heads up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Work gloves heads up Reply with quote

If anyone's after some gloves for car jobs or general DIY, the "Home Bargains" chain have some at the moment that are both good and cheap. They're only £1 a pair but give excellent dexterity, fit well, grip well and survive even the hottest washing machine cycles. No good for chemical hazards and the like, but if you just want some extra protection against cold and grime you'll not go far wrong with them. The brand is "Dekton", I've never heard of them before but let's face it, a lot of brands that used to be good sell rubbish these days so it's worth taking a punt if the price is right. The gloves are usually red but sometimes come in other colours, and are of the knitted type with dipped palm and fingers. They come with either a latex or nitrile dip so do check - nitrile for car work but the latex give a better grip with building materials. I've never really gotten on with gloves for working in, but these ones have made me think again.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I tended to rely on leather work gloves...mainly to protect a delicate hand, which sustained some nasty damage nearly 3 years ago...us oldies find the skin is a bit more like tissue paper these days.....

Nowt like a bit of dead cow on each hand, to give some protection?
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with BB. Seeing someone always working with these rubberized dipped gloves I thought I would have a try. It really is perfect for when working on wheels / suspension / brakes or greasing. When dirty just put them in the washing machine with your overalls or work jumper and they are as good as new. Cheap too!
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Thanks for that.

I tended to rely on leather work gloves...mainly to protect a delicate hand, which sustained some nasty damage nearly 3 years ago...us oldies find the skin is a bit more like tissue paper these days.....

Nowt like a bit of dead cow on each hand, to give some protection?

I agree that leather will give the best mechanical protection, but I've always found the lack of dexterity whilst wearing them to be a major limitation. They're good for handling panes of glass and the like, or for swinging on tight nuts where you just know you'll skin your knuckles when it finally lets go, but you don't always need that level of protection.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I bought a pair of each today. Not only are they 99p a pair, but you get a bit off if you buy two pairs.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always being one for a bit of skip wombling, and gathering of freebies [proffs?].....why is it that whenever one see's a work glove lying on the road....it's always only the left hand?? Sad
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The left hands are all redundant, while the right hands all work for ToolStation.
http://happyhourproductions.co.uk/news/2017/02/toolstation-helping-hand-tv-campaign/

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: