classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Classic US car scene in the UK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Classic US car scene in the UK Reply with quote

After having lived out of the UK for a number of years now, I got to thinking.

How is the Classic US car scene in the UK now?

I know that there are a few enthusiasts on the forum, it would be nice to compare with here or other European countries.

UJ
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can post some pics up of some of this year's shows if you like.
There are two main magazines available covering the subject - Classic American & American Car World - both have regular features on everything 'Yank Tank'. Custom Car is another, but it features mainly rods & customs.
Whilst motoring isn't cheap here in the UK & even worse for an 8, there is still a very strong contingent of die-hard owners.

Like me. Cool
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in the UK, the US scene was in its infancy. About the only mag that covered them was Custom Car. Clubs either didnt exist, or were in their infancy.

Over here, a weekend event will often not only have the actual meeting, but things like swap meets, dances, and so on. Is it the same there now?

UJ
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Scotland there are a lot of classic American car owners, but for some reason (probably the weather) we don't have a lot of meets or clubs. It appears we're a strange bunch, with a lot of owners prefering to keep to themselves.

For example, I have been with the same local "multi-make" club for nearly 17 years now, 11 of those with the Chevy. I was about 10 years in when I discovered by sheer accident the Chairman had a 1960 Cadillac "Flat-top" AND a 1959 Cadillac Convertable - but had never mentioned them to me, I can't say I was very impressed at the secret squirrel nonsense. Confused

All in all the American car scene here is strong, but very cliquey (sp?), with the majority of meets on the east coast of Scotland, with a very occasional one here in the west such as Kyle Kustom Kruisers meet each summer.

That's why I go to the US each year and pig out travelling from show to show. Right now, as we "speak" the other half is working out our itinerary for next springs vacation and so far we're going to shows in Orlando, Kissimmee, St Cloud, Dade City, Tarpon Springs, Clearwater & Daytona Beach, all in Florida - can't wait! Cool
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty, I thought you were visiting Scandinavia next year? Laughing

UJ
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Scotty, I thought you were visiting Scandinavia next year? Laughing

UJ

This is this years vacation posponed to next year, sadly however it means we have to shift next years vacation to the year after. However by that time we're hoping we may have clawed enough time back that we might be able to have 2009's vacation in 2008 and still have another in 2009 - perhaps coming over to your neck of the world.

(And if you can understand this you're a better man than me, I'm only writing what the other half is dictating to me! Shocked )

Last edited by Scotty on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
giggles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alive and kicking in East Anglia. It's amzing how they seem to come out of the wood work!

I think in Suffolk because we had several USAF bases around here, that's why we've got such a strong American car scene. I know several people that bought cars that they saw driving around the Suffolk lanes when they kids back in the 50's and right up until the mid 90's. My dad always tell tales of seeing Yank Tanks in the ditches back in the early 1960's when he used to visit the bases in his Austin 7!

Well, we've recently been converted to the scene with the purchase of our Fairlane and my brother-in-law has bought a 41 Buick to restore (or turn into a Kustom.) Cool
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be the same around Warrington in the 50's and 60's due to the USAF base there. At one time, this was the largest military base in Europe. There even used to be a breakers yard, with just Detroit iron in...wonder if it still exists?

UJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a healthy following for US iron around here, some shows have virtually nothing, but others - where the US car club stand is present - has a large selection of older US motors on display. The local old-car garage often has 1 or 2 US cars or pickups in it, and they don't stick around long.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
giggles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Auto Club is pretty active around here too.

http://www.americanautoclubuk.com/

And here's a few links to photo's of local shows
http://www.uimarketing.co.uk/iceni2006.htm
http://www.uimarketing.co.uk/clubmeetjune.htm
http://www.uimarketing.co.uk/damnyanks2006.htm
old gto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
(And if can understand this you're a better man than me, I'm only writing what the other half is dictating to me! Shocked )

BELIEVE me, most of us know all about that, LOL! And just for the rest of you who haven`t heard of the "Turkey Run" at Daytona....The show Scotty mentioned is the spring run, the "SisterShow" to the Turkey Run, and as such is only half as big. It is held at the Daytona Speedway, and there will be 2500 swap meet ("Jumble"?) spaces, 1200 cars for sale, and ONLY about 3000 classics, hot rods, customs, street rods, and cruisers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: