classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Girling mechanical brake dust covers...again?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Girling mechanical brake dust covers...again? Reply with quote

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12256&highlight=girling+rubber+dust+covers+splitting

Following on from the above old thread......I, too, have repeated issues with the new dust covers, especially the fronts.

Question...Does anybody have any tips or advice regarding prolonging the life of modern-made rubber covers & dirt seals?

I have some red rubber grease.[made from vegetables and stuff, maybe even Marmite?]....which I intend to try, smearing inside the boots to allow cables to slide better.

Has anybody got any other old tricks to help prevent the dreaded rubber splits? Maybe keeping the rubber more supple?

This would also apply to TRE boots, etc?

Incidentally, I have found some quite old brake dust covers which are much longer than those currently available new. Although the narrow ends were split, I tigersealed a couple of old TRE boots over the end..they look a bit naff, but if they stay intact for longer, I shall be pleased.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The question might be; Are they rubber?"
If yes then "soft soap" or a proprietary rubber lubricant used to be used by model aircraft makers for their rubber motors.

If not rubber these pages might give you some ideas of what to ask for.
https://www.ipcol.com/wp-content/uploads/P80_Webinar-1.pdf

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A solution to the splitting dust cover issue.....discovered having just had a brand new cover split first time on full lock.

SWA gland shrouds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cable+gland+shrouds&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The above sort of thing. I have yet to figure out which sizes best fit the little Girling dust cover frames. I found a pair, already made up..had them in store for years....they don't split when the steering goes to full [right] lock...the short brake cable side....Plenty of red grease allows the cable to slide nicely in the rubber shroud.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used those before on our Rover P2 as the Girling type do only last months if you are lucky.

The ones I used were for 2.5mm SWA 4 core.

However, there are both PVC and Rubber (or something that looks like rubber) and the durability of both is variable. Some PVC ones are too stiff to allow front pull rods to swivel when steering and cause binding brakes.

Quite a few other owners have used stitched quality Chamois leather which if soaked in Vaseline lasts well and is very flexible

After 22 years of trying sorting these, I no longer bother and just use White Marine grease to keep the dirt out and wipe everything clean regularly.

I doubt if they are needed anyway and whether they were ever effective
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Phil. I agree, I suspect most with Girling brakes don't bother either.

The issue arose because I was getting on with replacing all the ball joint rubbers....which had become oil-mashed and tatty.

....and that issue arose because I am suspicious....with all this unfounded hooo-haaa surrounding MoTs, and the lack of a need, etc....I fully expect...in the future..to be targeted....for road-worthiness checks.

Easy to set up a DVSA check at shows, etc...anywhere where old motors are going to turn up?
[I am old enough to remember Police & MoT checks on roads surrounding grass track meets....the targets being, dodgy trailers, or those hauling their grass tracker with dollies. as a good chum reminded me recently....those on dollies were turned around & sent back home...not being road legal!]]

Ball joint rubbers [or lack of, in good nick?] are an MoT failure ....and I suspect any dust/dirt protection for brakes to be seen likewise.
Whilst I don't expect we'll see persecution as such, any shortfalls [if not overtly dangerous/risky?]...will result in a 'quiet word', a note of the reg number, and perhaps an eye being kept out?

As an article in the recent 'classic Sad car press' noted, we are now subject to public perceptions...which mostly never have any basis in fact.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because a car passed an MOT means it is not actually roadworthy either on the day or for the next 13 months and although rubber boots are a failure on MOT criteria it does not mean the vehicle is unsafe or unroadworthy (potentially it may be if not rectified) although I am certain the comparison will be made however.

The problem with older cars which are now exempt is that many of the MOT criteria are just not applicable and most MOT inspectors do not have a clue.

If there is no trace of a rubber boot being fitted on the brakes doubt it would be even noticed. TRE's have changed very little over the last 80 years and most had and have rubber boots so this would be picked up and TRE's do soon fill up with grit and water so good rubber boots are essential but they still wear out with the original boot intact and fully serviceable.

If the brakes do not stop the car with the minimum required efficiency then the car is unroadworthy and dangerous, a missing rubber boot may or may not cause this condition although if alternative action is not taken it will cause danger.

Nothing beats regular attention an independent lookover by someone who knows what they are doing and to look out for is even better and the MOT does not satisfy this adequately.
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: