classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New Owner Ford Prefect E493A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
PMFORD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: New Owner Ford Prefect E493A Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Just got my first Ford Prefect model E493A. I have restored a modern classic over the last 7 years, so Looking forward to giving the Ford a good clean up. Got to sort a few electrical bits out and replace a few rubber seals. Floor condition is good in the boot and under the rear seats,so just cleaning that up and protecting it at the moment. I have noticed that when the handbrake is applied the brake lights come on. I have been told that this should not happen. Has anyone come across this before or have any idea why it would have been done? The foot brake lights work as normal.

Best Ian.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, plenty of good advice to be found on here from a lot of like minded people.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.....2 possibilities I can think of.
[1]...thehandbrake should only apply the rear brakes on these Fords....There is a device in the system called a 'compression tube''
...it is item #2569 in the above diagram...courtesy of https://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/plates/4-braking-system-3759
This compression tube may be incorrectly adjusted..or, simply, seized solid [or made to be so]...such that, when the handbrake is applied, both rear & front wheels are locked. [earlier small Fordshandbrakes did just this..locked all 4 wheels]....thus, if the front brakes are applied [by the handbrake, ] then the brake lights will light up.
Adjustment is described in the Ford Anglia, Prefect & Popular workshop manual,available from the Ford Sidevalve Owners Club...or SmallFordSpares.
[2]...A previous owner may have re-sited the brake light switch [or replaced it altogether by another sort of switch entirely.] If that switch is operated by the rear brake cables, or linkages, then when the handbrake is applied, the brake lights will also come on.
The handbrake is not on a ''separate circuit' like modern [and other old] cars....the handbrake simply pulls on the rear brake cable...locking it.
Solutions? Well, work out where the brake light switch actually is. It should be on the chassis, just in front of the pedals, underneath...attached by a spring. if it isn't there, find out where it is, and whether it's attached to the rear brake cable [or linkages]

If not prepared to delve too deeply, then simply fit a battery isolator switch somewhere handy....and turn off the electrics when parking up? [Or, simply leave the car in gear, with the handbrake off?....Carrying a wheel chock might prove handy, too?]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, good to have another variety of sidevalve Ford being discussed here - more the merrier.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brake lights should only work with the ignition on and the op had the car running with the handbrake applied when he noted the brake lights were on.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
The brake lights should only work with the ignition on and the op had the car running with the handbrake applied when he noted the brake lights were on.

Yes, that should be so......but the OP says he noted the brake lights came on when the handbrake was applied. This shouldn't happen on the Ford system.
Which says to me there may be an issue with the linkage between front & rear brakes.....or the brake light switch has been changed/moved.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
PMFORD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone. Thanks alastairq for a in detail summery of possible causes. I will check this out over the coming weeks and let you all know what I find. I will get a flicker account set up soon and post some images. Plenty to do on the car over the winter months.

Ian.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:

Yes, that should be so......but the OP says he noted the brake lights came on when the handbrake was applied. This shouldn't happen on the Ford system.
Which says to me there may be an issue with the linkage between front & rear brakes.....or the brake light switch has been changed/moved.

Yes I'm aware of that, just that someone posted about disconnecting the power to the switch, which wouldn't be necessary if it was on the ignition circuit. I reckon you are right about the a linkage problem
PMFORD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Just uploaded a few pictures below. Started on the rear floor pan. Treated with Por15 after prepping. I need some green paint now to match. What would be the best way to match the colour please and where to get it from.?
Cheers Ian.

https://flic.kr/p/28Awu2Y

https://flic.kr/p/28AwtMQ

https://flic.kr/p/PdK52b

https://flic.kr/p/2bhbC9L
Penguin45

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20180908_113443 by Ian Littlewood, on Flickr

20180909_104744 by Ian Littlewood, on Flickr

20180923_135316 by Ian Littlewood, on Flickr

20180923_145411 by Ian Littlewood, on Flickr

Nice work.

P45.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: