classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Not a Driver. I am lost for a subject title
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Not a Driver. I am lost for a subject title Reply with quote

First. I am not a big fan of Facebook or Video sharing but was sent this with a message "please watch you will be speechless" So I watched it.

I totally fail to understand what was happening in the brain, but the real scary bit is this driver is on the road.

I couldn't find a way of seeing the video away from Facebook so apologies if you can't see it, perhaps it will appear elsewhere.

Caution, strong language if you have your audio on.

https://www.facebook.com/NTDTelevision/videos/293155051505391/?t=24
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only in Canada or the US...but pretty much everywhere in the world.
It is to be hoped the person doing the video has passed the relevant details on to the owner of the damaged car?

I have witnessed such behaviours in UK car parks...and have been amazed at the reluctance of those stood watching, even closer than myself, to actually get involved...either by aiding the driver concerned, or passing witness details on.

In the UK, the driving test is a basic assessment of competence. But, by the very nature of assessment, a driver's response to any & every type of circumstance come across , cannot reasonably be reviewed.

[Not so long ago, my Daihatsu Fourtrak daily driver was struck 3 times, by 3 separate individual drivers, within the space of 15 minutes. In every circumstance, I was the 'victim'...in the 'right', for want of a better description.....and the other drivers knew it. 'Failures to give way....mini roundabout, and a side road...and the third, being reversed into in a car park. My vehicle was essentially undamaged...as one would expect from such a vehicle...the others clearly displaying wounds. Luckily for them all, I was able to anticipate what might occur, given the situations developing,. What I could not influence was the complete oblivion displayed by the other drivers.]

But, these things happen. I'm willing to bet that lady was a wizard with a programmable washing machine? {Which I am not!]

However, when inexperience leads to panic and flusterness....this is what happens.

The UK driving test includes various parking situations...but has always been an assessment of the competence to get from A to B, and park it when one gets there...Plus, if one takes a wrong turning, can one safely turn around to get back on the right route?

It's the same with the UK Cat C test [lorry]....pretty much.

The only way to make a test more difficult, is to make it last a lot longer [giving the candidate more time to 'hang' themselves with driver faults....]...making the test longer introduces massive problems with the logistics of driving tests. which can lead to an increase in illegal driving, as folk cannot be bothered to wait.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked unbelievable!
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: For those who have watched.

Would you have intervened in some way ?

I know it is the U.S and with that caution is advised, people have guns. My instinct would have been to help the lady remove her car and advise that at the very least she either leaves her details or better still wait until the owner comes back,
but that said people have guns.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
Question: For those who have watched.

Would you have intervened in some way ?

I know it is the U.S and with that caution is advised, people have guns. My instinct would have been to help the lady remove her car and advise that at the very least she either leaves her details or better still wait until the owner comes back,
but that said people have guns.

You're surely not suggesting we should have gone to the lady and shot her?
[Even though it would be tempting to remove her from the gene pool?]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least she left a sample of her DNA when she licked her fingers and tried to rub the dent away Very Happy

Art
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the video poster left a note for the Toyota owner.

Would I have intervened? Tricky! You could advise the Ford driver which way to turn her wheels and that might have reduced the damage. You could also offer to drive her car but that could easily end up with you getting the blame for all the damage.

Probably the most sensible course of action would simply be to let the Toyota's owner have access to the video.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: