classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vintage Morris Motors Driving Glasses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
richardofyork86

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Vintage Morris Motors Driving Glasses Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently came across an interesting pair of what I think are vintage driving (racing?) sunglasses during a relative's house clearance.

They are quite heavy and could be made of silver with glass lenses (tinted blue). The wrap around frames are spring loaded to fit the wearer's ears. The bridge has 'Morris Motors Ltd No 185' hand engraved. I note that Morris Motors was established in 1919 so I'm guessing by the style that they are from the 1920s/30s.

The leather visors are aged as can be seen in the photos. The glasses come in a metal case (marked '21') with what I guess is the original cleaning cloth.

Have any forum members come across this style of driving glasses before? Were they a common item for motorists during the 1920s/30s?

Please note see photos below and many thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this item.

[img]IMG_3037 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3038 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]
[/img]IMG_3039 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3040 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3041 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3043 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3044 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3049 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3050 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3051 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3052 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3054 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
[img]IMG_3055 by Richard Harris, on Flickr[/img]
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much about these but, yes they certainly do look like period sunglasses. I've also seen them in old photos of people on ski slopes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: