classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Best carpet to suit a 1933 car?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Best carpet to suit a 1933 car? Reply with quote

I'm intending to fit new carpets to my 1933 Lagonda and wonder what type of carpet would have been used back in the '30s? Obviously I could simply go for Wilton trimmed with leather but in the back of my mind I have an idea that car carpet would have been short pile back then? I could ask the Lagonda club but there are a few anoraks there and I'm sure whatever Lagonda used is now unobtainable! I'm not looking for 100% authenticity but just something suitable. Thoughts?

Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might need to research the subject in some depth to get a true picture of the type of floor covering most closely matching what was originally used. I would imagine (although I have no evidence) that in 1933 carpeting an open car would still be quite novel? Vintage touring cars would often have either Linoleum or rubber floor covering. Perhaps the Lagonda club will know an expert or historian who could confirm what was used. Alternatively, a chat with a car museum curator may throw up something.

Personally, I think these days "you pays your money and takes your choice". I would be inclined to go for a hard wearing wool/nylon mix that is easy to keep clean - but it is your call.

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/76/carpet
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
...Personally, I think these days "you pays your money and takes your choice". I would be inclined to go for a hard wearing wool/nylon mix that is easy to keep clean - but it is your call.

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/76/carpet
Probably good advice Ray. I just can't help myself getting wrapped up in the history of these old cars! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: