classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Metal detecting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Metal detecting Reply with quote

Hi all,

Adding the photo today of a second 'field find' AA badge, set me off wondering about metal detecting. Does anyone here do this? and if so, have you found anything interesting?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about it, I could use the exercise,
but the initial outlay puts me off!

Cheers, Tony. Rolling Eyes
misterbridger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a second hand one at a boot sale a few years ago and tried it out at Camber Sands. I wish there was a use for the old style throwaway ring pulls - I must have found thousands, and very little else!
Minxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story time. Many years ago my now wife then fiancée were stopping in a little cottage right on the beach in North Wales. Said fiancée put her engagement ring inside her training shoe while we went swimming, after swimming we changed and she, without realising, shook the sand out of said shoe, wasn’t until we got back to the cottage she realised what she had done, we searched for hours for that ring until the tide covered the area. Next morning we spied a local on his way to the beach past the cottage with a metal detector so we asked if he would mind having a look in the general area, within fifteen minutes we found it a couple of yards from where we had sat and about a foot down in the sand. Now certainly this particular gentleman commented that it’s an expensive hobby ( if you buy the best kit which apparently you need to find anything serious) that pays for itself with occasional jackpots.

P.S my wife still has the same ring.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of swimming off the Welsh coasts: My wife was in the water at Fishguard keeping an eye on our daughter who was about 4 at the time. My wife is short sighted and so kept her specs on. Unfortunately a wave came and knocked them off. I was called in to look for them but couldn't find them. So we asked at the life guard's hut if they ever get specs handed in. They asked for a description at which point we were somewhat embarrassed as the final part of our description was:
...Oh, and they only had one leg!

We didn't have a metal detector and needless to say we didn't ever see them again.

Admittedly my wife had broken them only the day before but the life guards also mentioned that any specs they do receive are normally opaque after a good swirling in the sand.

Peter Embarassed
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it, but the BBC series "Detectorists" made me want to. As long as I could have the weather and fields they had, too. I wonder how many things are still left to discover, though - I'd imagine most of the stuff near the surface would have been found years ago.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with my workshop floor.....finding all the nuts, bolts, rivets, and sundry other small items gobbled up by the floor monster....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the following on this thread 10 years ago about my experience

Quote:
Never again will I touch a metal detector....

Many years ago a mate Billy said he knew where the remains of an old house were and asked if I had a metal detector. I didn't, but I knew someone who did. I borrowed it one day and off we went to the ruins. After searching for 3 hours and only finding bits of rone pipe, guttering and a couple of barrel rings we decided to pack up. "Just 5 minutes more" Billy said and with another sweep of the detector it started beeping again. I stuck the spade into the ground and removed a chunk of turf and Billy who was looking at where I was digging let out a yell of "Oh for **** sake" I looked into the hole and there, peering back at us, seeing daylight for the first time in about 45 years was a hand grenade...... Oh s*** I thought, what will we do. After a bit if debating I decided that Billy should hold the 2 dogs whilst I threw the grenade, theory being if it was live it would go off.......I threw it and nothing happened so after playing at Brits V Germans we headed back to the car. Billy took the seat cover from his drivers seat and wrapped the grenade before placing it carefully in the boot and driving back home. When we arrived at my house Billy said he was going to show his mate Jimmy and left.

Billy arrived at Jimmy’s house and with excitement shouted for him to come see what he had. Jimmy was a huge chap who stayed in a rough area and spent his days growing vegetables. Nobody dare go near Jimmy’s vegetable patch for fear of Jimmy catching them. Jimmy was feared by all and anyone who crossed his path better be able to either fight or run fast. Jimmy came to his front door and Billy unwrapping the grenade said “Look Jimmy, look what we found today“. Well, when Jimmy saw what it was he told Billy to GTF out of his house before it blew them both to smithereens. Take it to the TA Jimmy said as Billy left with his tail between his legs…

Billy arrived at the TA and as he was walking in, grenade still wrapped in the seat cover a Sergeant was leaving the building, he asked Billy if he could help and Billy started to open the seat cover. At that point the Sergeant started shouting for him to put it up at the back wall and before Billy knew what was going on there were bodies appearing from everywhere, carrying sandbags and covering the grenade. Billy turned round and left. Later in the afternoon I heard on the radio that there was a bomb scare in the town centre but thought no more of it. It turned out to be a live grenade., and the TA had to call the bobm squad to do a controlled explosion.
I decided at that point never to use a metal detector again

Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall a story locally that some lads were using magnets in the local river to find scrap metal, they ended up finding a cache of shotguns and hand guns that were dated at least 40 years old.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not metal detecting as such, but at sometime in the late 1950's, a group of us "young lads" I might have been about 10. We were blackberry picking and found what turned out to be a 40mm AA shell. This was to the south of Barnsley and would have come from one of the Sheffield batteries.

Anyway, being boys, we took it home, lit a fire in the back yard and put it on to see if it would go "BANG!" My grandfather happened upon us and hastily pulled the aforementioned ordnance from the fire. Then the police came and took it away, so we never got to hear it go "BANG!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: