classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hydraulic Brake Light Switch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Hydraulic Brake Light Switch Reply with quote

I have connected up my hydraulic brake switch on my Commer lorry and I get no life from it at all.
I know fluid is passing into it and it isn't blocked and the wiring is new and to a terminal that I know is live.
Is there anyway to check the switch, or looking round on ebay is it just easier to replace it?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been lots of issues with some brands of this switch, when my dad had his MM he had about 6 that failed either straight out of the box, or within a few months. It was so bad that he rigged up an additional dashboard warning lamp wired to the brake lamps Shocked

To check the switch simply measure the resistance when the system is pressured.

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been lots of issues with some brands of this switch, when my dad had his MM he had about 6 that failed either straight out of the box, or within a few months. It was so bad that he rigged up an additional dashboard warning lamp wired to the brake lamps Shocked

Dave
jp928

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One car I had many years ago had an indicator for working brake lights - round can like a flasher, connected to brake circuit; mounted in a plastic case that screwed to bottom edge of dash, lit a bulb behind a plate saying 'Brakes', accompanied by an audible click. These days you would run a lead from switch output to a 12v LED (via a resistor) mounted in some sort of bezel.
jp 26 Rover 9
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those accessory warning lights on 3 of our classics as it warns of a single bulb failure.

The hydraulic switches can be very insensitive and only work when brakes are full on when they age and new ones are very inconsistent and can even leak after a short time
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea if you have managed to repair your switch, but I always carry a spare like this in my E-type. Not dear, and I've replaced only two over 30 years.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/English/parts/9814f8c3-58d9-4a86-a60b-401be3902ece

https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/English(US)/parts/74c68473-49f8-481d-b474-c1ab92e15360

Hope this helps.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a problem with any that I had, but years back I remember a mechanic saying that depending on location it is possible for an air bubble to get trapped and stay there. I guess it's possible, but in theory seems more likely than in practice. Opinions welcome because this idea was floated to me over 50 years ago.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that and it could well be true but loosening a failing switch and pressing the pedal down to eject some fluid, I had only last week had no effect. A old battered one I put in worked as good as a mechanical switch
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats strange with SNG comment, looking through the original parts list the lockheed switch is also used on Jaguars.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality the only difference between the switches will be the thread size; they all should operate from around 50PSI (light braking) to over 2000PSI. And be capable of switching the current a couple of brake bulbs draw.

The symptoms that I saw with modern reproduction Lucas switches were either requiring a very high pressure to operate or failed "OC" The only failure I ever had with an original switch was a "SC" fail....possibly although the modern and original switches look the same externally, they are engineered differently internally?

peterwpg wrote:
I never had a problem with any that I had, but years back I remember a mechanic saying that depending on location it is possible for an air bubble to get trapped and stay there. I guess it's possible, but in theory seems more likely than in practice. Opinions welcome because this idea was floated to me over 50 years ago.
A bubble in the system can't affect local system pressure, and said pressure has to be the same on both "sides" of the bubble.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: