classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Magnets. Welding - Holding - Whatever
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Magnets. Welding - Holding - Whatever Reply with quote

I have used what are termed "Welding Magnets" for a number of years. Most applications have nothing to do with welding.

Geoff, (OuBallie), who resides among the Norfolk mountains, has recently returned to posting and I happened to send him a link about welding magnets.

So as not to interfere with his excellent storyboards I include here a couple of magnet photos.

A solution to where to put the pesky chuck key. These are the "non critical" jobbing drill selection. For the times when all that is required is a hole to take a bolt or screw. The pristine ones are kept in a box.

This one can take a little getting used to, but once mastered it is like having another pair of hands. I changed out the bolts on mine and have a piece of threaded rod with a wing nut at each end. The spanners also have an affinity for the magnets that can be annoying at times. I have used it several times with one end on the small anvil (it's heavy) and the other holding the work in place before adding clamps for a final secure position.

MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use welding magnets for welding, but of course the biggest trouble when using a MIG is that the magnet interferes with the arc, if you're welding anywhere near it. I've also found in some places that the magnet isn't really strong enough to hold its own weight.

I did buy some very strong magnets which are pretty good, but interfere with the arc even more. They also really hurt if you happen to trap a bit of flesh like that between thumb and finger between the magnet and the bodywork.

Most annoying is when the garage floor is covered in bits of metal cuttings and filings, and I drop the magnet into it. Takes ages to get it all off again.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..................................yet handy when one drops that very important nut, bolt or screw.....which one knows one must not under any circumstances, lose......yet contrives to escape one's clutches? Smile Smile
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used welding magnets and found them to be very good. The downsides I have found with them though are that often they are just not as versatile as mechanical clamps and quite often the actual magnets aren't strong enough.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A source for some really strong and useful magnets is an old inoperative microwave oven, even a domestic one. Carefully pull it apart and you will find a couple of doughnut shaped magnets that are very handy.
great advantage- they cost nothing.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old speakers? Good source of round magnets.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some good cheap tips!
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: welding magnets Reply with quote

just got a set of four. not used yet but am suer when I weld will be invaluable . saw post showing tools. put there as a sort of 'tidy'. with a few drill bits! thats not good idea as drills then tend to become slightly magnetic and keep metal particles swirling around cutting tip .not ideal ! As for picking up swarf .washers .nuts etc off. garage. floor. I have used a magnet for years but put a plastic bag over it first. thus when we. pull bag of magnet ( normally inviting bag at same time, we get. every. metal particle nicely taken OFF magnet so no problems .Smile
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clactonguy,

DOH!!

I’ve been using big magnets from computer disk drives for years (same principle as speakers) for the very reasons outlined and usually end up peeling the product off when a plastic bag would have made it so much simpler. I bought a degaussing tool from Lidl but it works with partial success. Again I could be using it wrong Embarassed

Art
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought a degaussing tool from Lidl but it works with partial success. Again I could be using it wrong Embarrassed

Handy if one finds oneself swimming in a minefield? Smile
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: magnets Reply with quote

got some welding magnets and thus far unused! never use magnets to store 'drills' as the 'magnetise' them as swarf sticks to ends getting in way etc. if we want to use for licking up a lost screw? wrap in cling film or thing plastic or even place a sheet of paper underneath before searching. thus when Manet roved will be clean Smile
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can say that again! Smile
Da Tow'd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the powerful microwave donut magnets on each of the arms on my hoist to hold the lug nuts/bolts.
handy
Longstroke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 47Jag I use the really powerful magnets from an old computer tower. The discs make useful mug mats/mirrors/bird frighteners. Useful source of small screws. Bits of the steel casing have found their way into the floors and wheel arches of old cars. There's an irony in all this with bits of relatively new redundant technology up-cycled for use repairing old machinery. What can be greener?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: