classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What are your classic plans for 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
old iron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I am planning on selling the Dodge and possibly the Swallow and (if I can persuade the wife to part with some of her recent inheritance) see if I can buy a Suffolk SS100 replica kit to build myself. These are fabulous cars but eye wateringly expensive.

The other option is to buy a MGTC in reasonably sound condition and restore it to very good if not concours condition. I am not too precious about originality so a supercharger would probably be fitted.

I have a soft spot for Swallows, which one lurks in your garage?
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After injuring my left shoulder in April driving my Riley has been largely impossible, it's been out of its garage twice this year.

2019 will be different as we'll be driving from Land's End to John O'Groats in May to raise funds for two local hospitals' charities. To make it more interesting we'll be travelling on B-roads as much as possible and navigating the entire way by tulip diagrams.

The trip was originally planned to mark my 70th birthday though that's not until November but then we thought we'd put it to good use, re-scheduled it to May, contacted Weston Park Hospital in Sheffield and The Royal Hospital in Chesterfield, both of which have looked after us very well during serious illnesses in recent years, and the fund raising idea took off.

Between now and May, Gael (my O/H) will be honing her navigation skills and I will be conditioning myself not to disagree with her instructions - wish us luck...

Other than that, with my shoulder now more or less back to normal, I aim to be back behind the wheel at least once a week.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old iron wrote:
Ray White wrote:
I am planning on selling the Dodge and possibly the Swallow and (if I can persuade the wife to part with some of her recent inheritance) see if I can buy a Suffolk SS100 replica kit to build myself. These are fabulous cars but eye wateringly expensive.

The other option is to buy a MGTC in reasonably sound condition and restore it to very good if not concours condition. I am not too precious about originality so a supercharger would probably be fitted.

I have a soft spot for Swallows, which one lurks in your garage?

Say hello to Trundles, my 1930 Austin Swallow Saloon. Probably the most original/correct example anywhere but no history before the 1950s. I have tried to conserve rather than restore her during In my custodianship since 1984.

Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have now formulated a plan to get more out of our rented unit. We are adding more heavy duty storage racks to free up floor space to give us a better area to work in.
Also, I have a gardner 5LW lorry sheeted up outside, we want to free up space to bring that inside.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk2 Reply with quote

Farmer John wrote:
Hi John, gazed at the Zephyr for quite some time. Really nice.
John

Hi John, glad you like it. I'm getting there slowly but will be ready for next seasons running,hopefully with everything done that I wanted. My friend in Christchurch has also been busy & now has a concours Mk3 Cortina - lot of work. All the best down under for 2019.Kind regards,JD.
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
adding more heavy duty storage racks

Storage racks are great. In my garage I try to leave as little as possible on the floor. Makes sweeping the floor easier too Very Happy
Norseman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 'sixties I had a succession (3) of Austin Sheerlines costing me between 15 & 30 quid each. I was young, single & petrol was between 4s 9d & 5 bob a gallon so a fuel consumption of between 12 & 16 mpg wasn't a big deal, especially when several mates chipped in.

I'd love a nice one now (seen a couple at shows last summer) but in order to finance & park it means the disposal of my current modern classic, something I'm struggling with.

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same as 2018, almost finished the supercharger project. When it gets warmer continue with the bodywork, firstly remove the temporarily fitted glass fibre roof infill panel that replaced the vinyl infill. Prep the roof and paint, then fit the grp with its rubber seal and sealant. Then prep the rest of the car for painting. New interior and headlining. I retired in December and now have time to move this along.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear casing on my gearbox has been cracked for years and so I intend to replace it with the casing from my spare box. The spare box has never been reconditioned but I'd be surprised if I could extract the one I fitted to my current box without damaging it so at the back end of last year I obtained a replacement shaft oil seal in readiness.

Anyway, the only excuses I now have for not proceeding are the cold weather and finding somewhere to store the front seats as the garage is choc-a-bloc with flooring for the house that can't be relaid for a considerable time. Sad

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: