classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Re-Chrome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Austin100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re-Chrome Reply with quote

Hello
Has anybody got any recommendations for a good reliable business that does re chroming.
I require chrome work on bumpers and overriders on a 1946 Austin.
I live in Manchester and would be willing to travel within a 50 mile radius.
Many thanks
Peter
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some good results from Niphos in Crewe, but not for quite some time. I do keep meaning to pop in there again and see if they can do my front badge. I'm not sure how their pricing compares now, I have heard they are quite expensive.

I use a different chap now, he can't do my badge but has been very cost-effective on some other stuff. He's in Coventry, though, so outside your boundary.
Austin100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike
I have seen them on internet but not yet been in contact. I will keep in mind and see if anymore suggestions come in.
Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use Niphos in Crewe, last used about 6 years ago and the chrome is as good today as it was when I picked it up.
Less than 5 min walk from Crewe railway station.

Dave
Austin100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave

Yes that company does get good reviews will send them a mail.
Just as a side were they expensive. I don't have much idea last time I had something done it was two bumpers and overriders plus four hubcaps and two headlamps £135 the lot !!!
Long time ago !!

Peter
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin100 wrote:
... last time I had something done it was two bumpers and overriders plus four hubcaps and two headlamps £135 the lot !!!
Long time ago !!

Yes. I'd recommend you sit down when you open the quote, from what I hear recently. All will depend on condition, though, how much work they have to do to get a surface that will be smooth enough to plate.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Derby is not too far to go, I would recommend Derby Platers. They have done the radiator shells for both my cars. The Austin Swallow was chrome plated and the Dodge Brothers was finished in Nickel. I was particularly impressed with the way they repaired the parts to a high standard before plating. I would say they are amongst the best around and they assured me that the price quoted is for the work done regardless of the make of car.

You might think they are expensive... but I think you tend to get what you pay for.
Austin100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a quote from niphos at Crewe £350 for bumper £50 each overrider all plus 20% vat with a six week turnaround.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't picture the bumper size to have any idea of whether that's competitive or not.

I should add that I had some parts done at Niphos when I was rebuilding my Firenza in 1998. The boot lock is as good as it was back then, as are the door handles. The door handles never went on, they've just been in the garage, because they were very late in finishing them and I wanted to get on with rebuilding the doors, figuring I'd get around to replacing them soon. Roll on 20 years and I'm about to do them.
Austin100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bumper is 4 foot 5 inches wide and 3 inches deep so quite narrow with a few rusty spots. With the two overriders they want £540 Inc vat that seems quite expensive. Though it is the first quote I have had so will see.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had big Dodge's headlamp rims done there, a few small defects that the rims had at the time of purchase remain under the refinished surface. I assumed that they would have dealt with them during the process, but evidently not (maybe I should have asked).

The chap I bought my J40s from 10-12 or so years ago took his pedal cars' bumpers there to be re-plated, but the rears ended up being lost whilst left there for plating - perhaps just a one-off problem, this could happen anywhere I suppose.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once took my Swallow door handles, hinges and tread plates to a chrome platers in Crowthorne. They seemed to be taking a very long time. When ever I phoned I was given the brush off and promised "next week". Eventually, I went there to find out what the delay was about and the guy said he was sorry but they had lost my items.

I then noticed something familiar on the shelf behind him. It was my Swallow parts all nicely plated up and ready for collection.!!!!

Not only had they forgotten where they had left my parts but they also forgot to charge me for them!!!!

Honestly, some mothers do have 'em. Rolling Eyes
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
They seemed to be taking a very long time.

That does seem to be quite commonplace. I mentioned that I rebuilt my door with old handles because of how long the others took to be re-plated, and my current plater is pretty much the same - any estimated return dates are taken with a very large pinch of salt.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Ray White wrote:
They seemed to be taking a very long time.

That does seem to be quite commonplace. I mentioned that I rebuilt my door with old handles because of how long the others took to be re-plated, and my current plater is pretty much the same - any estimated return dates are taken with a very large pinch of salt.

Delay was not my experience with Derby Platers -which considering the amount of work they had to do with my Dodge Brothers rad shell (it was dented and wavey!) to get it to concours condition was quite surprising but as I say they were expensive. The shell is about the same size as an Austin 16 and cost £700 cash. If I hadn't presented it in burnished condition and completely dismantled (rivets removed) I am sure it would have cost more.

Steel can require a lot of preparation where brass is easy to work. The risk with brass is that they can over buff and thin the work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: