classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Top Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dolomite did look quite rough but these days nothing is beyond rescue to the dedicated restorer I suppose.

With regard complaining about the abuse of classics, my pet hate the program 'heartbeat' is the real villain of the piece.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that quite a few Heralds were used in filming Summer Wine - I could understand Thora getting through a few clutches, but did they put the Herald through a lot of dry stone walls too during their wacky capers?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-Nail wrote:
The Dolomite did look quite rough but these days nothing is beyond rescue to the dedicated restorer I suppose.

With regard complaining about the abuse of classics, my pet hate the program 'heartbeat' is the real villain of the piece.

Used to watch heartbeat occasional years ago, they used to show derelict old cars in the old fellows (forget his name) yard that would have been almost brand new at the time. Nice countryside, crap programme.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit of surfing. Hammonds Charger is an R/T, a 1969 . THe top-of the-line Charger. Hope he doesnt wreck it!

At least the Herald clutch is easy to replace! You can stay dry doing that job even outside in the rain....no lying on wet ground!
DELETED

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Did anyone see top gear tonight, some better stuff on it!..........

Razz

Still had a bit of stupidness by a certain clarkson, and I was horified when Hamond found it so boring!! Rolling Eyes

Cheers

Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have just made my feelings known to the top gear team, probably/almost certainly won't do anything, but it sure has made me feel better! Laughing Wink

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup saw it, interesting how lately they've given oldies a lot more coverage, even if some of it is a bit frivolous.

On a TV-related note it seems a shame that the Wales Rally GB (or whatever its called) didn't seem to appear on any TV channel over the weekend, coverage of the world rally stuff on BBC2 used to be pretty good, I was going through a tape from 1992 and the footage of Lancia Integrales and Sierra Cosworths hammering through the Yorkshire forests was brilliant. The programme was presented by a certain J Clarkson, sporting very bushy hairstyle Laughing

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Giggles

Location: Tucked up under a patchwork quilt somwhere in Suffolk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We watched it, our 7 year old stayed up so he could watch it and was glued to it. In fact several of his school friends are now starting to get inot cars as a result. They sneakly put the TV on in their bedrooms and watch it. Rolling Eyes

As someone else said would be nice to have a programme on mainstream TV for older/classic cars and not just dealing with the top end classics (if you get what I mean.)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read all of Clarksons books (very funny) and his biography and the picture of the man I get is one of quite a classic car fan.
He likes machinery, not just cars but trains, 'planes' ships - you name it, and like the rest of us he is not immune to looking back at the cars from the classic era wistfully.

Perhaps we will see more classics introduced into Top gear in future but don't expect them to be family saloons, Jeremy is after all a likeable but priviliged rich kid, and his tastes are for the more expensive 'Classics'.
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I viewed Sunday's veteran cars section as a welcome diversion into aspects of "old" vehicle ownership and use, rather than the usual balls-out power & price (which I enjoy too).

For me it was brilliant to watch these tiny little vehicles chugging around, being used, rather than what I have to put up with at the museum every day where everything has become "too precious" to be allowed to run in case something historical wears out. We have exactly the same Benz 3-wheeler as the Beaulieu one and that's the first time I've seen one run, even though they were built by the Daimler-Benz company to be used.

I know Clarkson can be irritating at times, however if you think about what probably is the target audience of TG, which almost certainly wouldn't be the likes of us, perhaps then it might be worth considering how they would make it relevant to a majority who wouldn't even have considered watching something about old motors before. Perhaps they were opening up the eyes of a whole new generation to "classic" cars they would have never considered before?
If I use myself as an example - before I arrived in the museum I never really bothered about anything pre-1940ish. However now, you can't stop me reading about anything vehicle related from the turn of 1900 - this was "hands-on" engineering, stuff I understand and love. These guys just took a sheet of paper and designed from the heart and mind, if it looked as though it might work they made it, and if it didn't they got out a new sheet of paper.

Who said "blue-sky thinking" is a modern concept! Very Happy
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: SD1 -Doors Reply with quote

my other half uses a Rover SD1 2600 as his every day car - well today he had the opposite problem to what they had on Top Gear - he could not get the door open Crying or Very sad

he had to wind the window down and open it from the outside handle so not all the doors fall off Rovers, luckily we have a few SD1s spare so soon had it fixed Very Happy
Giggles

Location: Tucked up under a patchwork quilt somwhere in Suffolk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SD1 -Doors Reply with quote

gillberry wrote:
my other half uses a Rover SD1 2600 as his every day car - well today he had the opposite problem to what they had on Top Gear - he could not get the door open Crying or Very sad

I have visions of Si trying to climb through the window in an attempt to escape from the Rover. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brother & his wife have told me that they will only go out with me in the humber or astra after seeing top gear they will not go in the rover - as it does not have rear seat belts to hold them in
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another forum that the Top Gear team could never have filled up the Rover with water as it has "ventilated cills".

Was this referring to the SD1's propensity to rust or is it a genuine feature of the car?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: