classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What are the best Autojumbles??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: What are the best Autojumbles?? Reply with quote

So moving on from Beaulieu, what do you guys consider to be good or the best Autojumbles in the UK?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been to a pure autojumble for years and years. Newark was once a regular(ish) haunt, but it must be twenty years ago that I last went.

I think it was at Newark that I bought a steel Mk3 Spitfire bonnet (1993/1994) complete for £20, and brought it home on the roof of my blue Volvo 121, with rope around it and routed through the Volvo's open windows, and around the Volvo's boot and bonnet catches, to keep it all on. I think I've a photo somewhere, amazingly it stayed on for the entire journey.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autojumble at the two Tatton Park classic shows has been very good. I am a bit concerned because there is some rumbling that the new show organisers are putting the pitch prices up, and some traders have said they won't go. That would be a mistake, as it's a major feature of the show. We've already seen it diluted a bit with "general" stalls (the stalls that put the "tat" in "Tatton Park") and I hope they don't make the mistake of ruining it.

Other than that, the autojumble at the NEC classic show can be good as well, though I've noticed some traders not going to that in recent years, and the same for the Race Retro autojumble.

For tools and the like, the Stafford Bike show was pretty good last time I went.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaulieu has a lot of 'house clearance' stalls these days which is a shame.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good few years back we used to go to a lot of shows as much for the autojumble as the show itself. When the autojumble became diluted with the general tat stalls and even fruit and veg stalls we stopped going to most of them - why on earth would anyone want to pay to get in and see stuff you can buy at any public market?

The only "pure" autojumbles I can remember going to were the ones at Malvern but haven't been in years, it's a bit of a trek from here in an oldie. It can't be more than 60 miles tops but somehow it feels like twice that even in a modern.
winchman

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to love Garstang, it was small but often just the bit you are looking for would pop up, sadly the lands been sold so now nothing local.
Newark is the best we have been to, but recently we went to Llandudno festival of transport and found a 1934 motor bike engine, you just never know what you are going to see. I feel Ebay etc has killed many of them and the operating costs hence the market traders popping up.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay does seem to have had an effect on so much of our hobby.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A47 Thurlaston Show Ground near Hinkley is held on Monday Bank holidays. It gets better and larger each year. Those turning up in ore 1990 classics have free entry. Opening now and huge turnout expected as with the May Day one

http://davidfreerevents.co.uk/
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to one of the weeklies last week, interest in autojumbles is on the increase again, the article citing sellers' issues with non-payers, selling fees and so on as partial reasons for this. I'm not sure myself. There's room for both I think, I wouldn't have been able to find the bits for big Dodge without the 'net, that's for sure, nothing would have turned up at 'jumbles in this country I'm sure of that.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found some rare parts for the vehicles on ebay but I really like rummaging at an autojumble and talking face to face.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: