classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1965 Hillman Minx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Prodaviez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: 1965 Hillman Minx Reply with quote

Hi guys my dad has a problem with his minx, when he puts his foot down on the accelerator pedal it’s stutters and coughs then finally gets going. When he pulls away it struggles, he’s put new leads, plugs converted to electronic ignition, new distributor cap and many more.

Could anyone shed any light on this as he’s just finished restoring it and it’s really annoying him.

Adam.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Has the carb been overhauled? I'm not too familiar with Minxes, does it have an accelerator pump in the carb? Is there a filter inside the fuel pump that could be blocked? Does the colour of the plugs look ok when checked?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Prodaviez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Has the carb been overhauled? I'm not too familiar with Minxes, does it have an accelerator pump in the carb? Is there a filter inside the fuel pump that could be blocked? Does the colour of the plugs look ok when checked?

RJ

The carb has had new jets, it’s been tuned by someone who does it for a living, plugs are fine and the filter isn’t blocked. He’s had a look at it but now it won’t start, also he’s been told that it could do with a new spindle on the carb so it might be worth changing that I guess?
Farmer John

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: minx Reply with quote

Hello Adam. you need to establish whether this is a carb problem or an electrical miss.
Drive the car in such a way as to force the misfire to occur then do the same again with the choke pulled out say a quarter of its travel. Repeat with the choke pulled out half then three quarters etc. If this cures the miss or stumble you can be sure there is a carb problem. I do not know which carb you have but if it has an accelerator pump start there by checking the plunger seal and the drilling by which the bore is filled then with the motor not running whip the throttle open and see that the nozzle is squirting fuel.
Come back to us with your results.
John
Prodaviez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he has replaced the accelerator pump in the carb which seems to have cured it, still runs a bit sluggish but a lot better than what it was. He needs to replace the spindle on the carb as it’s a bit loose so he think it should be fine after that, thanks for your helps guys.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worn throttle spindle will make idle setting a bit messy but I don't think it will make much difference to general running.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: