classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

An interesting Comet photo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: An interesting Comet photo Reply with quote

While browsing around Chester the other week, I saw a copy of this photo (source unknown) on a display board in the shopping centre, and found it quite interesting.

This is a Comet fuselage being steered around the Crosses in the centre of Chester, back when it was a normal road, prior to the by-pass opening.

After a few comments (notably about the seemingly-magic ladder on the right hand side) someone found a reference that, for a while, the fuselage was built by Short in Belfast, shipped to Ellesmere Port, and then brought by road to Broughton, site of the current Airbus factory.

I imagine this contributed to later production moving to Hatfield where it was all built in one place.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, we were only walking around there last week, little did I realise such momentous aviation-related scenes had taken place there a few decades earlier.

I hadn't realised that this kind of thing had gone on back then with reference to the Comet, I well remember Guppies (based on the Boeing Stratocruiser) flying into Ringway (Manchester) airport in the 1970s and 80s to transport wings over to the French Airbus factory, a job now undertaken by the Beluga out of Broughton.

Avro also used to transport huge chunks of Vulcan through Stockport to Woodford for final assembly, which involved numerous street lights having to be designed so that they could swing out of the way overnight, whenever a shipment was passing through.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick
That tug truck on the Vulcan photo looks like a Leyland Comet.

Guppies also flew into Filton to transport Concord sections to and from Toulouse in the late 60s early 70s

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photo Mike Smile

This would have been taken before the inner ring road (late 60's) and the bypass (late 70's) I suspect the route would have been down Northgate Street in which case they would have made a right hand turn and immediately a left (when the pic was taken) as the Cross in Chester is a dogleg.

The only other route would to have come down Eastgate St, both routes involve going through an archway where the city walls dissect the roads, the Northgate arch is taller than the Eastgate and I'm not sure it would have made it through the Eastgate arch.

Coincidentally I was travelling from Hatfield to Chester yesterday, my firms offices are built on the old airfield site, the surrounding roads have names like; Comet Way, Gypsy Moth Avenue, Mosquito Way. Other than road names there is little evidence of the old airfield or manufacturing facilities, the old DeHavilland admin building is a police station, and the main test hanger now a David Lloyd gym.

There was a 1930 arc deco hotel called the Comet nearby, now closed and recently converted to student accommodation.

PS I googled after writing the post and found this:

This pic would have been taken from the Eastgate arch (famous one with the clock) so it did fit !!

Dave
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The date of the Comet photos must be very early'50s because the square windows ID it as a Comet 1.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't resist a then and now! so in the 65 years difference in these photo's quite a lot is the same:

WH Smith have the same sign hanging! both the Lloyd's bank and Blossoms hotel on the right hand side are still there, unlike WHS Lloyd's have updated their sign!

MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's interesting Dave. We were pondering in the pub as to whether it had managed to get through the Eastgate arch. As your second photo shows, it must have done.

And the WH Smiths sign being the same is interesting too.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While browsing in WH Smiths in Chester today, I came across a book called "Chester in the 1950s" by Paul Hurley, and there's a section devoted to the transportation of the Comet, along with some more photos which show it going through Manchester (past what is now the Printworks) and another couple of Chester photos.

Apparently there were two Comets transported in this way.

The book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q6PPZB2/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: